Men’s soccer to take on Columbia University Lions Wednesday

Caption

The Seton Hall Men’s soccer team will continue a four-game road swing when they travel to Manhattan this Wednesday to face the 3-4 Columbia University Lions at Rocco B. Comisso Stadium in the Pirates’ non-conference finale.

The Pirates are coming off of a tough 3-2 loss to 11th ranked Creighton University. With 57 seconds to play in regulation, Creighton’s own Lucas Stauffer scored the game winner in the 90th minute to bring the home team to a 3-2 victory. Seton Hall trailed 2-0 at the half after Creighton scored twice in a span of just 59 seconds in the 35th and 36th minutes, and faced the same two-goal hurdle as the game dipped below 15 minutes to play in regulation. This was the team’s third straight loss. Despite the defeat, the Pirates still looked impressive defensively; sophomore goalkeeper Julian Spindler made a career best of eight saves as the Pirates were outshot 15-5 on Saturday against Creighton.

In regards to Columbia, they are also coming off of a tough conference loss. Columbia lost 1-0 to Brown University on this past Saturday. After more than 88 scoreless minutes, the Brown Bears broke the scoreless tie, finding the net with just under 90 seconds remaining to ultimately defeat Columbia in the Ivy League opener for both teams.

The Lions are sitting at 2-1 at home. With a win from the Pirates, this will be the men’s first road victory of the season. The teams last met in 2011, when the Pirates triumphed at Rocco B. Commisso Stadium, 1-0.

The Pirates will return home to Owen T. Carroll Field on Saturday October 11th at 1:00 against Big East rival Xavier University.

Olivia Mulvihill can be reached at Olivia.mulvihill@student.shu.edu.