Heartbreaker for the Hall, as #11-ranked Creighton defeats SHU 3-2

The Seton Hall Pirates men’s soccer team suffered a heartbreaking loss in Omaha on Saturday night, falling to 11th-ranked Creighton 3-2.

Amanda Boyer/Photography Editor

The Pirates (2-5-2) remain winless in Big East play (0-2-0), they also remain winless on the road (0-4-1).

The Pirates fell behind early 2-0 on goals by Creighton’s Ricardo Perez in the 34th minute and a blast from eight yards out by Lucas Stauffer in the 35th minute.

The Pirates faced the same two-goal deficit as the clock dipped below the 15 minute mark. The offense caught fire on goals from team captain Mateusz Brela at the 76th minute, his second of the season and Hillsborough, N.J.-native freshman Patrick Burd whose unassisted goal in the 81st minute off a redirection gave the midfielder his first college career goal and knotted the match up at two goals apiece.

German sophomore Samuel Geiler fueled the late offensive attack after he helped return possession of the ball to the blue and white that led to the first goal to put the Pirates on the board. Geiler also helped get the Hall another throw in, this time leading to the first goal of Burd’s collegiate career.

Both teams were pressing for a regulation win when the Blue Jay’s scored at the 90th minute goal to put the Pirates away. The goal, scored on a header by Lucas Stauffer from a cross by Creighton’s Noah Franke as he landed it right in the path of Stauffer who floated it just under the bar, gave the Blue Jays their third straight victory to improve to 8-1-1 on the season and 2-0-0 in Big East play.

Seton Hall goalkeeper Julian Spindler made a career-high eight saves in the loss as the Pirates were outshot 15-5.

Coming off the heartbreaking defeat, the Pirates will finish off the non-conference schedule on Wednesday as they head to New York to face the Columbia Lions at 7 p.m.

Charles Mul’ can be reached at Charles.mule@student.shu.edu