Women’s soccer battles Princeton into double overtime, settles for scoreless draw

Shupirates.com

The Seton Hall women’s soccer ended their four game losing streak, but not in the way many would have anticipated, as they settled for a draw in Monday’s match versus Princeton.

Coach Rick Stainton’s team did not produce as many goal scoring opportunities as they did against Stonybrook, but it was the defense that came up with many key plays to keep the game scoreless. Sophomore goalkeeper Illissa Blackshear, had another great game as she saved six of the 16 shots taken by the Tigers (0-1-1).

The Princeton offense, in just their second game of the season, were led by forward Tyler Lussi who had nine shots, but only two of them were on the net. She found herself under plenty of pressure by the Seton Hall defense. But had multiple chances to put home the decisive goal in Monday’s draw.

On defense, the Pirates (1-4-1) were led by freshmen Andrea Palermo and junior Emily Hansinger who played strong, breaking up multiple passes and shots on goal to keep the game scoreless.

Freshmen Lauren Hall had a notable chance at the beginning of the second half on a cross that came in front of the net, but her header sailed over the bar.

The blue and white had chances late to win it as sophomore Frankie Maier had an opportunity with six seconds to go in regulation, but her high shot on goal was denied by Princeton goalkeeper Darcy Hargadon.

Sophomore Cathy Chukuka also had a solid game, especially in the overtime sessions as her physical play helped lead the Pirates late, blocking shots for the Pirates, keeping them alive in overtime.

The game was a physical one and had its share of players who were shaken up. For the Pirates, junior defender Melissa Blevins left after 41 minutes of play and freshmen Jackie Saint John would also be forced to leave in the later stages of the first half. Princeton’s midfielder Vanessa Gregoire and defender Jesse McDonough also were forced to exit the game.

Four players for the Hall including Blackshear, Maier, Palermo and junior forward Amanda Gulli played in all 110 minutes of Monday’s double overtime road match.

The Pirates finish their three game road trip on September 12th in West Point, N.Y., as the Hall takes on Army. Kick-off is scheduled for 7p.m.

Sean Saint Jacques can be reached at sean.saintjacques@student.shu.edu or on twitter @SSaintj7. For complete coverage of Seton Hall athletics, follow @setoniansports.