SHU men's soccer falls short in valiant effort against No. 21 Delaware

Amanda Boyer/Photography Editor

With the task of facing the No. 21 ranked team in the country on the road, the Seton Hall Pirates (1-1-1) men’s soccer team fell short of taking down Delaware Wednesday night, losing 3-2.

The Blue Hen’s got off to an early start when midfielder Guillermo Delgado scored his first goal on the year at the 17:14 mark in the first half.

Down one, Victor Manosalv’s responded with a goal of his own for the Hall at the 12:08 mark of the first half. The tying-goal was the redshirt-senior’s of the season. With the half coming to a close, sophomore goalie Julian Spindler came up with a big save to keep the game knotted at one. Spindler recorded 3 saves on 6 shots on goal.

Kai Greene then gave Seton Hall a 2-1 lead in the second, knocking in his second goal of the year with 28 minutes left to play.

After that it was all Delaware. Freshman Thibault Phillipe tied the game back up at in the 72nd minute. The goal, which came off of a deflection from a free kick, was the first of his career.

Less than a minute later the Hens took the lead as junior Joe Dipre tacked on a goal of his own, making it 3-2. The Pirates could not get anything going with 17 minutes left to play, as Delaware ran out the clock with their remaining possessions.

For Delaware, it was their fifth straight win to start the season. They had previously won against Sacred Heart, LIU Brooklyn, Iona and St. Bonaventure.

The Pirates will begin a three-game home stand on Sunday when they take on Princeton at 1 p.m.

Gary Phillips can be reached at gary.phillips@student.shu.edu or on twitter @GPhillips2727.