Dating website: A rising trend to meet new someone new

In a society filled with people going in every direction, it can be difficult to find a compatible mate. Finding a quality person, who has the right goals and hasn't dated all of your friends, may become tricky living in a small commu­nity.

Of course there is the question of "Where is the right place?" Be­sides school, bars and work don't really rank high as an appropriate dating scene. Sure if you're looking for a temporary partner but those looking for some­thing more serious, may be pushed to visit an online dat­ing site.

With mobility of the internet and social media, dat­ing sites and dating apps could be the rising trend. Like anything else, online dating has a good and bad reputation.

I'll admit, I was a skeptic and had a negative point of view re­garding online dating tools. I used to say "If we can't meet someone in person, then we are absolutely pathetic." I believed that not meet­ing people in a face-to-face setting was deceiving and showed a tre­mendous lack of people skills.

However, I have switched sides. The quality of people, both men and women are substantially dis­appointing. Being that I have lived on both the east and west coasts, and I have two jobs, my opinion is coming from exposure.

Outside of Seton Hall Universi­ty, is a whole world of people with narrow minds, no enthusiasm and emotional dependency. Clearly anyone educated or not educated, online or face-to-face, can have these characteristics but it doesn't hurt to try new things.

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine introduced me to an app called Tindr. Sticking to my old skeptic ways, I tried to blow her off but she practically downloaded the app for me. Although you do have to log in with Facebook, the app is relatively discrete.

Whether it's South Orange or New York City, Tindr will suggest people within 20 miles radius. I'm not advocating for the app but it is interesting.

Oddly enough, I had a good ex­perience. After playing it safe with people that shared the same inter­ests as me, which I recommend, I decided to venture outside of the box.

Somehow, I gave a guy a chance after lots of conversation. Our date went really well. He was funny, smart and a really nice guy.

I only had the app for about a week and then I deleted it. Maybe sites and apps are not my thing but like the others, I can't say I had a bad experience.

Being 24 years old comes with some wisdom and maturity. I do not recommend meeting or even talking to everyone that finds you attractive.

As with any online site or net­working tool, meeting people dur­ing the day and in a public place is highly recommended.

However, if you are thinking of using an online tool or even an app to meet someone new, go for it!

Meagan Cunningham is a senior public relations major from River­side, Calif. She can be reached ar meagan.cunningham@student.shu.edu.