Osmun, Matusiak receive Big East honors

Two Seton Hall volleyball players were named to the 2010 All-Big East Second Team at the 2010 Volleyball Championship Banquet on Nov. 18.

Senior Sarah Osmun and junior Meghan Matusiak were the recipients of this honor. This is the first time two Pirates earned all-conference honors since 1994, according to Seton Hall's athletics website.

Osmun and Matusiak were the Hall's top offensive players this season. They both landed themselves in the top 10 of the conference in the kills category with Osmun at fifth and Matusiak right behind her at sixth.

Osmun is the school's all-time leader in kills, finishing the season with 1,572. She led the Pirates this season with 414 kills, averaging just under four per set.

Matusiak has recorded 1016 kills on her career and was second on the team in kills with 351 this season, with an average of around 3.5 per set.

In 2007, Osmun set the freshmen record with 431 kills and was named Seton Hall's Female Freshman Athlete of the Year. She led the team in kills every year from 2007 to 2010.

She recorded career highs with 34 kills at Marquette, five aces at Manhattan, 21 digs at South Florida all during her freshman season. Additionally she notched three blocks five times last year, the last of which was at home against Georgetown.

She also earned Big East Academic All-Star honors in 2008 and 2009.

In 2009, Matusiak lead the team with 435 points, and earned Big East Academic All-Star honors. She was named three times to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll.

She recorded career highs with 21 kills at Hofstra two years ago, six aces at DePaul and 12 blocks against Connecticut last season in addition to tallying 14 digs three times.

Despite losing one of the Hall's All-Big East Second Team members in Osmun due to graduation, the Pirates have filled a spot in next year's roster with the signing of Shelby Manthorpe.

Manthorpe is a setter for Merion Mercy Academy in Merion Station, Pa and has signed a letter of intent to play for Seton Hall in the 2011 season.

She was named a Prep Volleyball Senior Ace in 2010 and earned All-American honors at the Junior Olympics National Championship this past summer.

In 2008, Manthorpe collected All-State, All-District and All-Main Line honors.

Ryan Rush can be reached at ryan.rush@student.shu.edu.