Schedule announced for men's basketball

The Seton Hall men's basketball team announced their 2010-2011 schedule on Friday.

The Pirates open their season on the road against Temple on Nov. 12 while their first home game is two days later against Cornell.

On Nov. 5, Seton Hall will play an exhibition game against William Paterson University in Walsh Gymnasium.

The Hall's first non-conference game is at Temple on Nov. 12. The Pirates return home on Nov. 14 for their first home game of the season against Cornell.

The rest of the non-conference home schedule is comprised of Saint Peters on Nov. 29, Longwood on Dec. 13, NJIT on Dec. 19, Dayton on Dec. 22 and Richmond on Dec. 26.

Besides Temple, the team's only other official non-conference road game is on Dec. 11 at Massachusetts.

The Pirates will play in 2010 U.S. Virgin Islands Paradise beginning Nov. 19. They play Alabama in their first round game. Depending on results, they will face either Iowa or Xavier in the second round. The third game, to be determined, will be played on Nov. 22.

On Dec. 8, the Pirates will also be participating in the 2010 DIRECTTV SEC/Big East Invitational. They will play Arkansas at 7 p.m. at Freedom Hall in Louisville, Ky.

The Hall's Big East Conference schedule begins at home on Dec. 28 against the University of South Florida.

In addition to South Florida, Seton Hall will host Syracuse (Jan. 8), Georgetown (Jan. 18), Rutgers (Jan. 22), Providence (Jan. 30), Connecticut (Feb. 5), Villanova (Feb. 15), St. John's (Mar. 3) and Marquette (Mar. 5).

The Pirates are set to travel to Cincinnati (Dec. 31), Louisville (Jan. 5), DePaul (Jan. 12), Pittsburgh (Jan. 15), Syracuse (Jan. 25), West Virginia (Feb. 2), Rutgers (Feb. 12), Marquette (Feb. 19) and Notre Dame (Feb. 26).

The Big East Championship is scheduled for March 8 at Madison Square Garden and all sixteen schools will compete in the opening round.

Game times have yet to be announced.

Gabrielle Kiger can be reached at gabrielle.kiger@student.shu.edu