Faculty votes to extend interim dean's term

The faculty of the College of Arts & Sciences voted to extend interim Dean Joan Guetti's one year term at a Sept. 24 special meeting.

The meeting, held in the McNulty amphitheater, was originally called to discuss and vote on the resolution that would determine when the search for a permanent dean would begin.

"I will be happy with whatever decision you make," Guetti said in her opening remarks. "I will stay in this position as long as you'd like."

Guetti was appointed to the position after Joseph Marbach resigned earlier this year in order to accept a position at his alma mater, LaSalle University, as reported by The Setonian on Sept. 16.

The decision was made to hold the search process until the "next academic year," ultimately extending Guetti's term.

Faculty seemed pleased with Guetti's position but up in arms over the uncertainty of the situation.

"I can't tell you what's going to happen," interim Provost Dr. Larry Robinson said. "I do not know."

Concerns derived from the fact that "there is a large part of this institute that is interim," Robinson, who is not permanent himself, said.

Robinson (HAS HE BEEN OFFERED, OR CONSIDERD?) has been offered a provost position by Texas Woman's University and is expected to visit the university at the end of this month, as reported by The Setonian on Sept. 23.

Robinson, who opened up for questioning after his opening remarks, was challenged by faculty to provide answers on things from the consistency and timing of the search to the stability of the college.

One faculty member went as far to say that "If we want stability why don't we have Joan stay for three years? If she is willing to stay for three, then we need her for three."

The resolution, which originally requested that the "provost delay the search for a dean of Arts & Sciences until next year," was argued over several times during the meeting.

Many faculty members requested that it be changed to say that the search be delayed "until a president and a provost are appointed," while others felt that the search should commence immediately.

The faculty eventually agreed to change the resolution to read that the search will be delayed "until the next academic year" ultimately referencing to the 2011-2012 school year.

Guetti nor Robinson were present for the discussion and voting process.

Guetti left directly after her opening remarks while Robinson left after his question and answer portion of the meeting.

Ashley Duvall can be reached at ashley.duvall@student.shu.edu.