Three's company

Three new Senators were sworn in during the Student Government Association meeting, Monday night.

Sophomore Daniel Schultz was sworn in as the new at large Senator.
Junior transfer student Jesse Beutell is the newest arts and science senator and sophomore Alex Corto became a business senator.

When asked if there was anything specific he wanted to accomplish as a Senator, Shultz said he was concerned about how priority points are distributed to work study students.

"Students that have work study on campus are given priority points for housing, but students who do not qualify for work study or have jobs in the community do not get the same priority points," Schultz said.

Schultz said this is an important issue to him, because he is from Missouri. "I want to talk to housing and see if we can get priority points for everyone that has a job in the community, to make it more fair if you don't qualify for work study, you are still rewarded for participating in the community," Schultz said.

Schultz's at-large seat was vacated by Sen. Elizabeth Dudley, who now serves as a diplomacy senator.

"I felt that I could better represent the diplomacy students" Dudley said. "The people who I interact with are largely diplomacy students. I felt that if there was another student who had more interaction with students outside the diplomacy department, they would be better suited to fill the position."

Beutell said he is too new to Seton Hall to have any specific goals, but he wants to be able to help the community as a whole.

Curto said he applied to the seat after hearing about the opening from a friend. During Monday's meeting the Senate did not discuss any budget matters or vote on any resolutions.

Senators did vote however on what type of custom SGA jackets they should order for themselves.

Additionally, most committees did not give a report, mainly due to the absence of some senators.

Although most Senate seats are now filled, the Senate was informed that there are three Village Liaison positions open for the spring semester.

Senators were told to encourage people they know who might be interested to apply.

Village Liaisons are students who serve as a link between the university and its surrounding communities, but are not part of SGA.

Interest sessions are Dec. 8 and Dec. 9 at 6 p.m. in the Faculty Lounge.
SGA President Leonard Jones plans on delivering a "State of the SHU Address," at next week's meeting, which will outline the SGA's accomplishments thus far and outline plans for the spring semester.

Frank Taylor can be reached at frank.taylor@student.shu.edu.