Pirates split matches in the Bronx

Senior Allie Matters became Seton Hall's all-time dig leader as the women's volleyball team wrapped up play this weekend at the Rose Hill Classic in the Bronx, NY with a 3-0 win over Manhattan.

The Hall finished 2-2 in the tournament. Heading into play against the Fordham Rams, Matters needed just five digs to capture Seton Hall's all-time record. However, all thoughts of the record were secondary to Matters.

"People ask me at all and I don't really pay attention to it. I'm more concerned with our record and where we're headed and going into Big East play," Matters said. "I figure if I keep playing hard that records like that will just come."

Records have certainly come for Matters in her career as a Pirate. A year ago she broke the Seton Hall single-season dig record in a match against DePaul.

"She's been one of my favorite players that I've ever coached," fifth-year head coach Kris Zeiter said. "She's competitive, she plays hard, and she produces some ridiculous stats. She's the total package."

Matters finished the game with 15 digs easily besting the previous record of 1,497. She finished out the tournament with 20 digs against Central Connecticut State and 11 in the win over Manhattan.

Matters also extended her double-figure digs streak to 49 games and racked up 57 digs overall at the Rose Hill Classic. In their final match against Manhattan, the Pirates jumped out to a 14-2 lead before taking the first set, the team did not trail the rest of the match.

Sophomore Meghan Matusiak led the way posting nine kills to go along with 13 digs. The win pushed their record to 4-8.

"We finally went out and dominated somebody. We needed that," Zeiter said. "Against teams that don't have as much talent as us we need to be able to put them away early."

The Hall lost matches in the tournament against host school Fordham and Central Connecticut State, 3-1 and 3-2. Seton Hall began the tournament with a win against Sacred Heart 3-1 on Sept. 1.

Junior Sarah Osmun recorded a double-double, tallying 14 kills and 15 digs, while freshman Hannah Hugeback had her best game as a Pirate with nine kills and 16 digs of her own.

"We played up and down, we've got to be a little more consistent than we have been," Zeiter said.

The Pirates return home this weekend to host the Seton Hall invitational.

"I think it's very important because we're always very good at home," Matters said. "I think that if this tournament goes really well we'll be confident and ready for Big East play."

The Pirates will play their first conference game at home against Georgetown on Sept. 26.

Zachary Cziryak can be reached at zachary.cziryak@student. shu.edu.