Kevin Willard suspended two games by university

Ahead of the start of the 2019/20 college basketball season, Seton Hall men’s basketball head coach Kevin Willard received a two-game suspension. Willard will miss tonight’s exhibition match against Misericordia and the November 5 exhibition clash with Wagner following an NCAA investigation into allegations of transfer tampering. Assistant coach Grant Billmeier will take the helm during games until Willard returns from serving his suspension. Willard has, however, been allowed to run the Pirates’ practices. The NCAA is still in discussions as to whether the two-match suspension will serve as ample enough punishment for the investigation. [caption id="attachment_27223" align="aligncenter" width="838"] File photo[/caption] Willard’s suspension is the first of any Seton Hall men’s basketball coach since 2008 when Bobby Gonzalez was suspended for lashing out after a loss to Rutgers. Seton Hall released the following statement on the suspension: “Seton Hall University has been working collaboratively with the NCAA enforcement staff to address an infraction within our men’s basketball program," said a statement issued by the athletics department. Our department has been proactive in our review and has been fully cooperating with the NCAA enforcement staff. As head coach, Coach Willard assumes responsibility for the program, including this underlying violation, and has agreed to sit out the October 29 exhibition contest and the November 5 game.  This matter is still in review, and as a result, we will refrain from commenting any further until it is resolved. Seton Hall is and always will be committed to a culture of compliance, and we will continue to work diligently to ensure it.”