Struggles on the mound continue for slumping softball

The Seton Hall softball team continued its play in the Fordham Tournament on Saturday, falling to hosts Fordham, 9-2, and then Detroit Mercy, 9-6. The two-loss Saturday follows a 10-8 loss on Friday to UMass-Lowell, with struggles on the mound Saturday a carryover from Friday. After falling behind early in the first game, the Pirates were able to take a 2-1 lead against Fordham, thanks to a pair of RBI’s from Baylee Allender and Chrisa Head in the top of the fourth. The lead did not even last the inning, though, with the Rams retaking the lead in the bottom half. [caption id="attachment_22349" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Head surrendered two runs to Fordham in that bottom of the fourth inning, and was taking out in the fifth before even registering an out, following back-to-back homeruns that increased the Rams’ lead to 6-2. Problems continued for the Pirates’ in the sixth inning, with Mo Sobel also unable to keep the Rams off the board, as the Rams tacked on three more game-clinching runs. In Seton Hall’s second game, the Pirates – powered by starting pitcher Madison Strunk – came out stronger and held a 3-1 lead over Detroit Mercy after five innings. Strunk pitched a complete game for the Pirates; however, in a turn of events that epitomized the day for Seton Hall, the Titans capitalized on three Pirate errors in the top of the sixth inning to the tune of seven runs. The Titans added one more run in the seventh to take a 9-3 lead into the last frame of the game, giving them extra insurance ahead of the Pirates final chance at a comeback. Seton Hall loaded the base before an out was recorded in the seventh, but, Detroit Mercy methodically worked out of trouble, allowing runs to score on an RBI fielder’s choice and a groundout, in addition to an RBI-single from the Pirates’ Payton Beaver. Down to its last out and still three runs short, the Seton Hall offense was unable to manage any more offense, and the Pirates dropped their fourth straight game. The next game for the Pirates will be the final game of the Fordham Tournament, as Seton Hall will take on Holy Cross on Sunday, March 18 at 4 p.m. Robert Fallo can be reached at robert.fallo@student.shu.edu.