Pirates primed for Big East playoffs

via SHU Athletics

via SHU Athletics

After closing out the regular season with a sweep of conference foe Butler, the Pirates secured the No. 3-seed in the Big East Tournament, which starts Thursday, May 26 at 7 p.m. in Aberdeen, Maryland.

The Hall takes on second-seeded Creighton, who bested the Pirates in two of the contests from their three-game series earlier this year. Since then, the Hall has risen to 38-18 and are now riding a five-game winning streak.

Despite dropping two to the Jay’s earlier this season, senior Derek Jenkins remains optimistic about the matchup. “If we play how we’re supposed to play, play like we’re having fun, we can be very successful here,” Jenkins said.

The attitude on the team from top to bottom is positive, as freshman pitcher Shane McCarthy resounds an outlook similar to Jenkins.

“Realize what worked for you last time,” McCarthy said of the team’s mindset. “Execute those things again.”

McCarthy, Jenkins, and the rest of team are also fighting for more than just advancement in the Big East Tournament as they work towards reaching the elusive 40-win season that has escaped the Hall since 2000.

If the Pirates come out victorious tonight, they will take on the winner of top-seeded Xavier, and fourth-seeded St. John’s at either 3:30 p.m. or 7 p.m. tomorrow, May 27.

Kyle Kasharian can be reached at kyle.kasharian@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @ItsKyleKash.

Author: Kyle Kasharian

Kyle Kasharian attends Seton Hall University where he studies business with a concentration in Finance. In addition to serving as the Assistant Sports Editor of the Setonian, Kasharian is a Peer Adviser with Freshman Studies and the Co-Secretary of ALPFA, a campus business club. He aspires to cover his favorite basketball team, the Sacramento Kings, someday. Until then, you can keep up with him on his Twitter @itskylekash.