Swimmers dismissed following trip to Puerto Rico

The Seton Hall swim and dive teams departed for their annual training trip to Puerto Rico on Dec. 29 with a roster of 45 athletes.

Following the trip, there were three fewer swimmers in the program.

Senior captains Steve Hausmann and Tim Bosse and junior Keith Carlino – all over the age of 21 – were dismissed from the team shortly following the trip in connection with an alcohol-related incident that occurred while away.

While Hausmann has conceded that he was drinking during the trip and was in violation of University policy, Bosse and Carlino contend that their dismissal from the team is unfair, as they said they did not touch any alcohol while in Puerto Rico. They also are upset because the dismissal has caused them to lose over $50,000 in scholarship money.

Seton Hall Athletics denied multiple requests for comment and refused to allow other members of the swim and dive program to speak to reporters.

The three men’s swimmers were all roommates at the Hilton Ponce Golf and Casino Resort. Hausmann, who had been with the program for three and a half years, was unable to swim throughout the trip due to a herniated disc that he suffered earlier in the season. Still a part of the team, he went anyway.

Sidelined for the entire trip, Hausmann began drinking. In doing so, he was in violation of Seton Hall University Athletics’ policy which states, “Alcohol is not to be purchased or consumed by any student-athlete, student athletic trainer or student manager while representing Seton Hall University on the road.”

“I was drinking, I shouldn’t have been,” Hausmann said.

After finding out one of his swimmers was drinking, Swimming and Diving Coach Ron Farina called a mandatory team meeting and asked if Hausmann had alcohol in his room.

Hausmann was told to stay behind in his room, under watch of an assistant coach, according to Hausmann.

Bosse and Carlino said they told Farina and Roberto Sasso, assistant athletics director, who was also on the trip, that Hausmann had an open bottle of rum – approximately 750 milliliters – hidden in the room.

Farina and assistant coaches then searched the room and found the rum. In addition, they also found an unopened bottle of wine, according to Bosse and Carlino.

As a result of violating team rules, Hausmann was sent home early from the trip and later dismissed from the swim team.

For the remainder of the trip, Bosse and Carlino said they were told to stay in their room except for team practices and breakfasts.

Photo courtesy of Keith Carlino

Photo courtesy of Keith Carlino

The team returned to South Orange on Jan. 6. Shortly after the team arrived on campus, Farina texted Bosse and Carlino thanking the two for their cooperation.

On Jan. 7 Farina met with Athletics and later told Bosse and Carlino that they were dismissed from the team and would lose their respective scholarships. Bosse said that he lost $7,000 in financial aid while Carlino, who said he will look to transfer to another university, said he lost $45,000. Hausmann wished to not disclose the amount of his scholarship.

The University’s alcohol policy gives administrators latitude in determining punishment for infractions. According to the policy, “If a student-athlete is involved in an alcohol-related incident involving no legal consequences, the sport administrator supervising that program will determine if the circumstances warrant counseling, intervention and/or suspension of the student from practice and or competition.”

Student-athletes who violate the alcohol policy are subject to dismissal and the loss of their scholarship.

After meeting with Seton Hall University’s Office of Financial Aid, Bosse and Carlino met with Athletics again on Jan. 22 – this time with Farina and Senior Associate Athletic Director Kevin Sponzo – asking for detailed reasoning behind their punishment. The two former swimmers claimed that they were not in violation of the rule because they were not drinking and should not be punished so severely.

Ray Bosse, Tim’s father and a former swim coach at West Point, agreed.

“I’ve coached West Point for 18 years, and I’ve sent kids home for drinking on training trips,” the father said. “I didn’t send them all home. But we sat down and found out whose it was, and those were the one’s that were sent home.”

Hausmann said his discipline is fair, but he believes that is not the case for his teammates, who he insisted did not drink on the trip.

“Absolutely not,” Hausmann said. “It’s very unfortunate, I feel horribly guilty for all of this. As far as I’m concerned, they really haven’t had a chance to really sit down and have their say with anybody.”

David Heim can be reached at david.heim@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @Davidheim12. Gary Phillips can be reached at gary.phillips@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @GaryHPhillips.

Author: Editorial Board

1. I think it’s disguising how ‘The Setonian,’ a newspaper that represents the Seton Hall community, thinks they hold the right to destroy people’s reputations by further posting these kind of private matters online. Not only is it disrespectful to the athletes themselves, who admittingly made a mistake, but it pushes the incident to have unforgettable consequences; furthermore, spreading the news online to NJ.com and holding the writer accountable for defamation of character. The athletes have suffered enough and paid for their consequences through being dismissed and losing their scholarships. To have this embarrassing information handled online is no one’s business but those personally involved.

I hope these athletes gain the courage to sue, because now their identities have been permanently blemished–although the one athlete was even of legal drinking age, the article misconstrued readers to believe that the situation was worse than it was. This is horrible, and not only shouldn’t have been posted, but also the school should’ve disapproved of these actions by the newspaper. Now this is one of the first things prospective students see when reviewing the school paper or searching SHU’s name online. SHU PR should be removing this from the internet, as this shows the student writer’s lack of compassion and further destroys the credibility of athletics at SHU (making them seem to have many people relying on alcohol). This newspaper also reported on a friend whom I live with–who happens to be an athlete) and her temporarily bad GPA and loss of playing time due to that… all without her permission. This paper needs to realize boundaries and the lines that they have already crossed.

Honestly, the writer’s didn’t even post their names along with this article… it was written by the ‘board.’ This is more of an anonymous way to destroy people’s lives than it was actually reporting something useful to the Pirate community and those who read about this Nationally ranked University. This is not the NY Post, and this is a private matter that the writers have no right to report. Just because the information is out there doesn’t mean you ethically should report it. No reader would feel as if this information NEEDED to be shared. This is a betrayal to the Seton Hall community, and a public apology needs to be issued to the athletes.

I hope you listen. I am not an athlete, but I sure as hell know right from wrong. Learn your place and assume responsibility for ruining these athletes’ lives through this publication and spread of information. I hope you fully read this and will understand that more harm than good came from this article. This paper has no respect for SHU or the athletic community and I will therefore boycott it and further tell others to do the same, until this is removed from the internet and an apology is published.

Oh, by the way, my email address is not in real so that you may not contact me. I also do not give you permission to find me or distort/use my words in any other articles or publication.

Post a Reply
    • I think it was great!!!. Apparently only way for the non guilty parties to get a portion of what happened. And I think its a great thing for people to really know how Seton Hall functions. Obviously very poorly in the administration of many things! Hats off to the two victims!And hats off to the guilty one for being accountable!

Post a Reply
    • Did you not read the article? Two people got a chance to give their side of the story and let the rest of the community know that they weren’t even told why they were punished. If anything, it makes them all look better – one took responsibility for his actions, the other two needed to get their side out. The author also pointed out that the college basically told the rest of the swim team members not to talk to anyone – a classic sign of trying to cover something up since the punishments have already been doled out…

Post a Reply
  2. Gary & David……tried to send you information, by e-mail, concerning the swim team, however the address you have listed is not valid ( according to my server ). Did SHU shut down your e-mail? I think you might be very interested in what that info contains. Send me a good e-mail address and I will resend .

Post a Reply
  3. EZ, both of our addresses there are correct. Make sure you have a subject if you did not include one already.

Post a Reply