Photo via Thomas Donnelly.

E-Board column: What Trenton makes, the world takes

Sports have been my passion for as long as I remember, from tee ball in kindergarten to basketball from third grade and beyond. Getting ready for each game was exhilarating, and led me to fall further in love.

Part of the reason I chose Seton Hall was simply the Jersey kid in me watching Myles Powell dominate the BIG EAST. The reality of not going on to play collegiate athletics once I stopped growing at 5 '7”, though, sat with me for a while. Would I find myself around sports aside from being a fan? How realistic is exploring the field of sports outside of playing? Is it even worth my time if I’m studying business? Upon my arrival to Seton Hall in 2020, the opportunities I’ve been so lucky to experience through my time with the Setonian would have seemed like a faraway reality.

There was almost a time where I wasn’t a part of the Setonian’s editorial board completely. The head sports editor during my freshman year, Justin Sousa, implored me to apply to the assistant sports editor role for the following year. I applied and had an unbelievable experience, though returning for my junior year slipped my mind. 

Upon seeing the 99th e-board posted on social media in August 2022 without my name, I texted Daniel O’Connor, who became the editor-in-chief that spring, practically begging to be somehow put back onto the e-board. A mere two months later, I was promoted to head sports editor and have felt an undying sense of gratitude since.

From my first interview with baseball head coach Rob Sheppard as a freshman to my experiences at BIG EAST media day, meeting basketball hall of famers such as Jay Wright and Patrick Ewing, it truly has felt like all of my dreams have come true. To then be a part of the paper’s 100th editorial board is just an indescribable feeling. 

I wouldn’t be in the position I’m in without both Justin and Dan, along with our current Editor-in-Chief, Emma Thumann, whose words of encouragement prior to our senior year have resonated with me and given me at least one reason to continue doing what I love.

It’ll be weird not hearing my dad’s coworkers ask when my next article will be up. Just as I sat with curiosity coming into Seton Hall, I’ll sit with this for a little bit longer.

HALL in.

Thomas Donnelly is the Setonian’s Sports editor and writes for its Sports section. He can be reached at thomas.donnelly@student.shu.edu.