Celebrating 100 years of the Setonian

On March 19, 1924, the first edition of The Setonian was published and now the student-run Seton Hall newspaper is preparing to celebrate its 100th year anniversary.

In the 1924 inaugural article, the author writes about the years-long trials and efforts faced to get the publication off the ground, with the hopes to put forth a periodical that represents the goings-on of the student body. "Get behind the paper, and it will live; neglect your duty and it will soon pass into oblivion," the author implores in the last line to the reader. Now one hundred years later, The Setonian continues to thrive, further from oblivion with the inclusion of digital formats.

To honor this monumental anniversary, the Division of Student Services and senior Setonian staff are hosting a centennial celebration on March 19, 2024, in Bethany Hall, where attendees can enjoy food, music and commemorate The Setonian’s history.

After years of reporting, writing and publishing, the student-run college newspaper invites the community to celebrate the rich history of Seton Hall University. "One hundred years of student journalism is a monumental achievement," said B.J. Schecter, The Setonian’s advisor for the last seven years. "Through its history, The Setonian has been an important part of the fabric of Seton Hall. Thousands of talented students have written stories over the years and the independence of the publication is a tribute to dedication to journalism and the First Amendment by both the students and the University administration."

The event will consist of a catered dinner, followed by a speech from The Setonian faculty advisor, B.J Schechter. Emma Thumann, the editor-in-chief, and Serena Davis, the managing editor, will also deliver speeches about the history of The Setonian.

"Newspapers are part of the essential service of keeping the public informed of what is happening and how they may be affected," said Emma Thumann. "Student-run college newspapers, especially The Setonian, are no exception. Student journalism is journalism. Reporting for a paper that has existed for 100 years is an incredible experience that offers countless opportunities to seek out the next story. I’m very grateful to be a part of it and excited to see it continue to flourish."

The event is open to the Seton Hall community including students, faculty, staff and alumni. RSVP is required. Click here to register for the centennial celebration.

Serena Davis, managing editor, can be reached at serena.davis@student.shu.edu