Photo via Seton Hall Magazine.

Dr. Joseph Nyre announces resignation, Provost Katia Passerini appointed as interim University president

Seton Hall University President Joseph Nyre announced his resignation in an email sent out to students on Monday morning. 

In the email, Nyre said he “will be taking a sabbatical during the upcoming year” then “relinquish” his position as the president. 

“As the appointed Senior Advisor to the University, I have pledged my cooperation in assisting with the search for a new President and with making myself available as a resource for the Interim President during my sabbatical,” Nyre said. 

A following email was sent by the Board of Reagents on Monday afternoon, which stated that University Provost and Executive Vice President Katia Passerini was appointed as Interim President of Seton Hall “effective immediately.”  

Passerini has worked for the University since 2020. The Board of Reagents’ email said she was “by far the strongest candidate for Provost three years ago and a natural choice for this new role.” 

The email concluded that the Board of Reagents has already authorized a national search for the next president of Seton Hall. 

On Tuesday, another email from the Office of the President was sent out in which Passerini said she is “delighted” about the launch of The College of Human Development, Culture and Media, the merged college of the College of Communication and the Arts and the College of Education and Human Services. 

“I am confident we will unite in steering the University’s sails toward greater distinction,” she said, “No matter what the winds will bring.” 

Dareen Abukwaik can be reached at dareen.abukwaik@student.shu.edu.