Photo via Seton Hall Athletics

Baines’ career-high 29 not enough as women’s basketball falls short against DePaul, 94-89  

Following Lauren Park-Lane's record-setting performance just a few days ago, the women’s basketball team was once again slated against the DePaul Blue Demons. The Hall looked to sweep the season series in Chicago 

DePaul’s Aneesah Morrow started off hot, scoring the first 7 points for the Blue Demons which led to an early Seton Hall timeout. Trailing 14-8, the Pirates went on an 8-0 run with Cooks connecting on a jumper, which gave Seton Hall its first lead, 16-14, with just under 5 minutes remaining. 

Seton Hall held a 2-point advantage to start the second quarter, and it was needed in what became an offensive shootout. Neither side could pull away, as the game was tied at 41 headed into the break. Both teams shot over 50% from the field. 

Azana Baines led the Pirates with 19 points on 8-for-12 shooting in the first half. Sidney Cooks followed with 9 points, and Park-Lane added 6 points and five assists. 

Baines struck first to regain the lead early in the third, but DePaul had an answer for everything. DePaul used a 9-0 run to take a 52-45 lead with 7:27 left in the third quarter. The Pirates came within two, but the Blue Demons sailed off on a 9-2 run to take the lead back at 7.  The Hall retaliated with an 11-3 run in the final two minutes of the third frame. A step-back three-pointer from Cooks gave the Pirates a 1-point lead. 

Sha’lynn Hagans opened the fourth quarter for the Pirates, scoring four straight points to give them the lead, 71-66. The Blue Demons pulled within one, though Seton Hall held their ground and brought the lead back to seven with 6 minutes remaining.  

In this game of runs, the Blue Demons used an 11-2 burst to steal the lead back, 87-83, with just 1:33 remaining. Baines cut the deficit to just two with 30 seconds left, but DePaul iced the game at the charity stripe. DePaul would win, 94-87. 

Baines led the way with a game-high and career-high 29 points and pulled down six rebounds. Cooks added 19 points and six rebounds, and Park-Lane notched a double-double with 16 points and 11 assists. Alexia Allesch had 10 points on the strength of 2-for-4 from behind-the-arc 

Seton Hall falls to 9-8 in conference play and 16-11 on the season. With just three games remaining, they will return to action on Saturday, Feb. 18th at 1:00 pm when they host Xavier at Walsh Gymnasium for Senior Day. 

Nicholas Rodriguez can be reached at nicholas.rodriguez2@student.shu.edu