Photo via Seton Hall Athletics

Cooks’ 27 points not enough as Creighton defeats women’s basketball at Walsh Gym 

The women’s basketball team was unable to avoid the sweep against their Big East rival Creighton when they hosted them at Walsh Gymnasium on Tuesday night. 

Coming into the matchup, the Pirates held a two-game winning streak and looked to stay on track with the approach of the Big East tournament.

From the beginning, Creighton wasted no time as they got off to a scorching start right out of the gate, connecting on their first six field goals. Half of their makes were three-pointers during that stretch, which resulted in a 17-6 deficit for the Hall with 5:13 left in the first quarter. The Hall, known for their runs, closed the quarter on a 13-4 run led by seven points from Sidney Cooks and six points from Lauren Park-Lane to bring the game within two points. 

Cooks opened the second quarter with consecutive triples, which gave the Pirates a four point lead, their first since the 8:46 mark of the first quarter. Park-Lane used the momentum and stormed down the court for an easy lay-up, allowing the Pirates to take the lead once again, 29-27. 

For the next 4:25, Seton Hall became ice cold from the field and Creighton capitalized, using the Pirates’ struggles for a 10-0 burst. The Bluejays held a 43-35 advantage headed into the break on the strength of 7-for-11 from behind-the-arc in the first 20 minutes.

Cooks led the way for the Pirates with 15 points, while Lauren Park-Lane followed with ten points in the first half.

The third quarter offense for the Pirates became almost nonexistent as they once again went scoreless, this time for a total of 7:57. Creighton took advantage and went on a 14-2 run in the quarter, resulting in a commanding 18-point lead. Cooks finally ended the cold spell with a three-pointer, which sent the Hall into the fourth down 61-46.

Seton Hall was unable to overcome the deficit and ultimately lost the game to a strong Bluejays team, 77-64. Creighton had four players in double digits. For the Pirates, Cooks led with 27 points, Park-Lane had another double-double with 14 points and 10 assists, and Azana Baines added 11 points and eight rebounds.

The Hall drops to 8-6 in Big East conference play and 15-9 overall. They return to action on Feb. 11 as they travel to Philadelphia to take on #15 Villanova at 1 p.m.

Nico Rodriguez can be reached at nicholas.rodriguez2@student.shu.edu.