Photo via Alex Internicola

Park-Lane continues stellar season with nod on top 10 of Nancy Lieberman watch list

Senior Lauren Park-Lane, who was unanimously selected to the preseason All-Big East Team, is one of the final ten candidates for the Nancy Lieberman Award. 

Lieberman is a Basketball Hall of Famer who became the namesake for the nation’s top point guard award in 2000. According to the Basketball Hall of Fame website, the award honors those who “exhibit the floor leadership, playmaking, and ball-handling skills of the Class of 1996 Hall-of-Famer Nancy Lieberman.”

Park-Lane was named to the top 20 candidates for the Lieberman Award in October and now moves on to the top ten point guards in the nation. She has improved every year in her Pirates tenure, from 6.7 points and 4.2 assists per game during her freshman campaign in the 2019-2020 season to a career high 19.3 points and six assists per game this season. 

Others named to the top ten include Iowa’s Caitlin Clark and LSU’s Alexis Morris, who sit at sixth and third, respectively, in the most recent AP Top 25 Poll.

This is not the only honor Park-Lane has received this season. She received a Big East Player of the Week nod and made the Weekly Honor Roll on four different occasions this season. With wins against Georgia and Wisconsin in this year’s Paradise Jam, Park-Lane was also named to the All-Tournament team.

The women’s basketball team currently sits at 13-8 on the season thanks to the leadership of Park-Lane, though they are currently on a four-game skid. The Hall looks to bounce back on Tuesday against St. John’s at 7:00 p.m.

Thomas Donnelly can be reached at thomas.donnelly@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @_tommyd023.