University closes due to severe flooding

This is an evolving story. Check back soon for updates.

Seton Hall’s campus will be closed Thursday due to flooding associated with post-tropical cyclone Ida, according to a pirate alert sent to students Wednesday night. 

The storm dropped heavy rain across the northeast, causing widespread flooding in South Orange, including on Seton Hall’s main campus.

“Due to excessive rain and flooding, Seton Hall University campuses will close on Thursday, September 2, 2021," the alert said. "This applies to day and evening classes at the main campus, Law School, and IHSC. Essential personnel, as notified by their supervisor, should report to work as directed.”

flooding car2.jpg

Flooding damaged cars in many areas. On Monticello Ave in Newark, just half a mile from the South Orange campus, waters reached above license plates. (Courtesy of @setonhallchicks)

PXL_20210902_015233519.jpg

The TV studio in Fahy Hall was under inches of water Wednesday night, with more pouring in. (Daniel O'Connor | News Editor)

The extent of the damage is currently unclear, though parts of Fahy Hall, Schwartz Hall and other buildings were flooded as of Wednesday night. Facilities teams are working to assess the damage, according to an email from the Office of the President Thursday.

The TV studio in Fahy Hall, where PirateTV is filmed and many visual and sound media classes are instructed, was under several inches of brown water Wednesday, with more audibly dripping in through the walls and ceiling. 

Several classrooms on the basement floor of Fahy Hall were also flooding, with ceiling tiles sagging under the weight of dripping water. Some rooms had peeling paint and walls that were wet to the touch.

PXL_20210901_220551799.jpg

Paint peeled from the wet walls of Fahy room B7, which was flooding Wednesday night. (Daniel O'Connor | News Editor)

The University has yet to provide a statement on the flooding or the structural integrity of its facilities.

There was also minor flooding in Arts and Sciences and Schwartz Halls. It is currently unclear how many other buildings on campus have been affected.

PXL_20210902_021111720 (2).jpg

Ceiling tiles bulged under the weight of floodwater. (Daniel O'Connor | News Editor)

Daniel O’Connor can be reached at daniel.oconnor1@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @itsDanOConnor.