Students share opinions on Golden Globes winners, fashion, controversy

Comedic actresses and writers Tina Fey and Amy Poehler hosted the 78th Golden Globe Awards on Feb. 28 after it was delayed for nearly two months due to the pandemic. From the chic attend-from-home fashion to this year’s winners, Seton Hall students shared their thoughts on this year’s awards.

image-7-1024x770
Seton Hall students share their opinions on the 78th Golden Globe Awards. (Photo via Wikimedia Commons)

The event was met with controversy due to the lack of Black members in the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which decides the nominees and winners. Because of this, some fans and celebrities including Jennifer Aniston and Kerry Washington decided to boycott the show.

Sydney Theano, a freshman business major, said the lack of diversity within the organization was a reason why she decided not to watch the ceremony.  

“I don’t understand how they have zero Black members on the board,” Theano said. “Why would I watch something where my people have no say in it?”

Fey and Poehler addressed the controversy in their opening speeches. Poehler said everyone knows that “award shows are stupid.” Fey then  said, “The point is, even with stupid things, inclusivity is important, and there are no Black members of the Hollywood Foreign Press. I realize, HFPA, maybe you guys didn’t get the memo because your workplace is the back booth of a French McDonald’s, but, you’ve got to change that, so here’s to changing it.”

Viewer ratings were at an all-time low this year with a mere 6.9 million audience size.  Ratings were down 64% from 2020’s viewership of 18.4 million, making this year’s ceremony the least watched in recent Golden Globes history.

Chloe Zhao won Best Director for her film “Nomadland,” making her the second woman to win since Barbra Streisand in 1984. “Nomadland'' also won  “Best Motion Picture-Drama.”

“Best Actor in a Motion Picture-Drama” was awarded posthumously to Chadwick Boseman for his performance in "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom." A tribute was also given to Boseman during the ceremony. 

Melanie Torres, a senior psychology major, said the tribute moved her.“I thought the tribute was very sweet,” Torres said. “I think he was very deserving of the award, but I wish he was alive to continue his legacy.”

Taylor Simone Ledward, Boseman’s wife, accepted the award on his behalf and gave a speech paying homage to the late actor.

“Best Television Series-Musical or Comedy” was given to “Schitt’s Creek.” Catherine O'Hara from “Schitt's Creek'' also won best television actress in a musical or comedy series

Emma Corrin and Josh O'Connor, who are the stars of the Netflix series “The Crown,” won in their respective categories for best performance in a television drama series.

Other winners include “Soul” for “Best Motion Picture-Animated,” Daniel Kaluuya won best supporting actor for his role in the film "Judas and the Black Messiah," and Andra Day won best actress in a motion picture drama for her role in the film “The United States Vs Billie Holiday.”

It has become tradition for celebrities to appear at award shows dressed in head-to-toe designer clothing. Although the Golden Globes was held virtually this year due to the pandemic, it did not stop celebrities from dressing up.

Marie Vondell, a sophomore psychology major, said she believes Viola Davis was the best dressed of the night. Davis wore Lavie by CK, which included an African royalty-inspired patterned gown with puff sleeves.

“I love how she tied her culture into her outfit,” Vondel said. “I think it was really elegant.” 

The complete list of the Golden Globes 2021 winners and nominees can be found on the Golden Globes’ website. 

Courtney Campbell can be reached at courtney.campbell@student.shu.edu.