SHU reviews ‘To All The Boys I've Loved Before: Always and Forever’

Warning: spoilers ahead.

Seton Hall students shared their reactions to the Netflix original movie “To All the Boys: Always and Forever” which was released on Feb. 12. 

“To All the Boys: Always and Forever” is the third movie in the “To All the Boys” series and was directed by Michael Fimognari. The trilogy is based on the books written by Jenny Han, and the films star Lana Condor as Lara Jean Covey and Noah Centineo as Peter Kavinsky.

Photo-via-Netflix

The plot of the “To All The Boys” trilogy centers around the relationship between Covey and Kavinsky through their relationship’s ups and downs. The last installment centers around Covey’s decision on where to attend college in the fall, and whether or not she will still be with Kavinsky. 

The film scored a 78% approval rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes, but received a 62% approval rating from audiences. 

As it is the third installment in the series, fans were already interested in Covey and Kavinsky’s relationship, which impacted many students’ reviews.

Emily Balda, a freshman psychology major, said she really enjoyed the film and thought it was interesting to see Covey and Kavinsky’s love story unfold further in the last installment.

“My favorite part of the movie was when Covey and Kavinsky realized they needed, and decided, to pursue their own dreams,” Balda said. 

In the movie, Kavinsky decided he was going to be playing lacrosse at Stanford after graduating from high school, and Covey originally wanted to attend a college close to him, but ultimately decided to follow her heart and attend New York University.

Balda added that she would recommend this movie to a friend for a movie night. 

Ania Soltys, a freshman biology major, also said she enjoyed the film. Soltys said she liked how relatable the characters were and how they were going through the college admissions process just as she recently had.

“It is fun to be able to see the actors portraying situations that I can easily relate to,” Soltys said. “While watching the film, I remembered when I, myself, went through the college process.”

Kelsi Loewen, a freshman biology major, said she enjoyed “To All The Boys: Always and Forever” overall, but did not always like the actions of Kavinsky.

“Sometimes, Kavinsky treats Covey in ways that I don’t agree with, but overall, he is not a bad person,” Leowen said. 

Loewen added that she enjoyed the plot of the trilogy  and is sad to see that there will not be another film. 

Leowen said she would recommend this film to a friend if they had seen the two movies leading up to this one, and if they had not seen the others, she said she recommends that they watch all three.

The “To All The Boys” series will have no more installments after “To All The Boys: Always and Forever,” but another novel by Han titled “The Summer I Turned Pretty” is being turned into an Amazon Prime original series, which fans can watch when it premieres later this year. 

Alexa Toohey can be reached at alexa.toohey@student.shu.edu.