Men's golf returns to tournament play at Pinnacle Bank Intercollegiate

The Seton Hall men’s golf finished tied for 13th place out of a 16-team field at the Pinnacle Bank Invitational in Hilton Head, S.C. on Tuesday. Graduate student Alex McAuley led the Pirates on Day Two with a round of even-par, 72. McAuley finished with five birdies Tuesday.

RAG19130-1024x576

Senior Alex Acevedo was Seton Hall's best performer at the tournamnet, finishing 5-over-par in the final round and tied 34th among 80 individual golfers.

Freshman Brody Hanley delivered another solid individual performance as well, shooting 3-over-par in the final round and 15-over-par with a 79-77-75-231 for the entire tournament.

Junior Deven Ramachandran was the next best Seton Hall performer at +11, shooting a 4-over-par 76 on Tuesday.

On the surface, the Pirates 13th place finish appears to be a negative, but they are far behind the curve compared to many of tournament’s other teams due to snowstorms that have ravaged the northeast and forced the team indoors. The Invitational was dotted with teams like Charleston Southern, Wofford, and High Point (all in North or South Carolina) that have had a lot more time on the course than Seton Hall as well as less severe COVID guidelines in their states.

As a team, the Pirates shot +41 over the course of the two-day tournament, tying Gardner-Webb and finishing a stroke behind 12th place Radford.

The men’s golf team returns to action Mar. 8-9 at the Ross Collegiate Classic in Pinehurst, N.C.

Matt Collins can be reached at matthew.collins@student.shu.edu.