Here are the Netflix TV shows to binge-watch this season

Looking to unwind on the weekends with a show to binge on Netflix? Here is what Seton Hall students said they are watching right now on the popular streaming platform.

image-7-1024x536
Seton Hall University students discuss their favorite shows to binge watch on Netflix. (Photo via Wikimedia Commons)
  1. Peaky Blinders

Matheus Leguisamo, a senior diplomacy student, said he recommends “Peaky Blinders.” Complete with 5 seasons of 6 episodes each, the crime drama focuses on the Shelby family living in Birmingham, United Kingdom in the early 20th century. Leguisamo said that to him, the show is all about the “pursuit of power” and the obsession the Shelby family has with “controlling the organized crime in London.” 

Leguisamo said he suggests this show to those who might like to learn history such as the rise of the Bolsheviks or how Churchill came to power with the tensions of crime in 1900s England. 

1. Breaking Bad

Daniela Gencarelli, a freshman elementary education and speech language pathology double major, said she has been rewatching the classic AMC series “Breaking Bad.” She first watched it during her sophomore year of high school.

“It is really cool to see how the characters develop, and how the person, in the beginning, becomes a completely different person by the end,” Gencarelli said. 

Gencarelli said she would recommend “Breaking Bad” to students. Gencarelli added that the show is complex and that there is something to take away from every episode and every little detail. “There is a reason it is considered the best show to ever be aired,” Gencarelli said. 

1. Midnight Gospel

Audrey Pennington, a junior visual and sound media and philosophy major, said she recommends the Netflix original series “Midnight Gospel.” Pennington said that “Midnight Gospel” was created by comedian Duncan Trussell, who takes 20-minute clips of interviews from his podcast “Duncan Trussell Family Hour” and animates them to create a story. 

“Midnight Gospel” follows Clancy as he travels through different universes in space. The show was co-created with Pendleton Ward, the creator of “Adventure Time.” Pennington said “Midnight Gospel” is full of colorful characters and settings and is great for those who are looking for something that is “beautiful, but also super weird.”

1. Grey’s Anatomy

“Grey’s Anatomy” has 16 seasons, and while it may seem like a commitment to some, Jodiann Morgan, a freshman elementary education and speech language pathology double major, said that the show is a must-watch. 

“You’re probably just going to assume it’s one of those boring soap operas,” Morgan said. “But I think it surprises you after a while because events just get crazier and more intense.” 

Morgan added that “Grey’s Anatomy” shows how doctors and surgeons have to put on a face for their patients but are really people under that, which is something she thinks people sometimes forget. 

1. Anne With An E

Patricia Miraglilo, a senior history and philosophy major, said she suggests checking out “Anne with an E.” The show is an adaptation of the popular novel “Anne of Green Gables” by L.M. Montgomery, and follows young orphan Anne Shirley through her young life as she is adopted by a brother and sister living on a farm in rural Canada. 

Miraglilo said she enjoys “the way it’s written, and the kids that are in it make it so alive.” She added that she would recommend this show to any of her fellow students who might be looking for “something wonderful” to watch to escape stress. 

Ellen Paul can be reached at ellen.paul@student.shu.edu.