Join The Setonian

About us

Welcome! We are so excited to hear that you are interested in joining The Setonian, the official undergraduate student newspaper of Seton Hall University.

For 97 years, we have served as the voice of the University community, delivering coverage from all angles of Seton Hall's campus. From reporting on the frontlines of student-led protests to dissecting the latest fashion trends, The Setonian has remained relentless in its reporting.

If you are interested in hearing more about the work we do at the paper, we will also be hosting interest sessions on Monday August 31, 2020 @ 6:00 pm and Wednesday September 2, 2020 @ 6:00 pm on Microsoft Teams. There, you will have the opportunity to ask questions and hear from some of our section editors!

To apply to join our newsroom through our universal application, click here! Applications are due by September 9.

For questions about the application or the interest sessions, email our Editor-in-Chief Nicholas Kerr @ nicholas.kerr@student.shu.edu.

Our sections

The Setonian has a variety of different sections, all reporting on different areas of news or contributing to our coverage behind the scenes.

News

Our News section primarily covers all important events that affect the Seton Hall community, from the University's coronavirus response to on-campus protests to our Student Government Association and everything in between.

News staff writers will have the opportunity to participate in various areas of the paper's coverage, including writing up breaking news, engaging with enterprise and investigative reporting, and even data journalism, all in the spirit of delivering the most essential stories to our community and holding President's Hall to account. Writers will also learn to write in AP Style, one of the most widely used English language style guides for reporters.

The workload of a News staff writer typically entails writing one article per week but could be more for those interested in joining our breaking news coverage team. Staff writers will also have the opportunity to pitch stories at various points throughout the semester during weekly section meetings.

Prior experience with news writing is not required.

News Editor: Daniel O'Connor

Campus Life

Campus Life covers all things entertaining and trending that keep our campus alive. This includes feature stories about our Seton Hall students making strides in the community, club profiles about the various organizations within the University and days in the lives of different majors.

We also cover pop culture, fashion trends, and culture in our University at-large. Aside from covering events on campus, we also often venture out to the Village and surrounding restaurants and businesses, as well. We are committed to letting students’ voices be heard on a variety of topics that are popular in this day and age.

The workload of a Campus Life staff writer typically entails writing one article per week. Staff writers will also have the opportunity to pitch stories at various points throughout the semester during weekly section meetings.

Campus Life Editor: Kristel Domingo

Sports

This year for the Sports section is going to be quite different, as you might imagine, with the cancellation of fall sports.

Normally, staff writers would start out with game recaps and the occasional feature story here or there. However, this semester we plan on involving the sports section’s staff writers in the brainstorming and creative process of putting together story ideas.

We will be trying to work closely with the Athletics and the athletes across our 16 different programs. We truly believe in the sports section that everyone has a story worth telling — even those who don’t necessarily contribute directly to the product our athletes and coaches put out on game day.

The workload of a Sports staff writer typically entails writing one article per week. Staff writers will also have the opportunity to pitch stories at various points throughout the semester, including during weekly section meetings.

Sports Editor: Justin Sousa

Opinion

For the first time in its modern production, The Setonian will be restructuring its opinion section to allow for a dedicated staff of columnists. As the primary independent news source of the Seton Hall community, we are looking for people willing to offer commentary on issues that are tied to our student body, our campus, and the surrounding community.

Additionally, in an attempt to also diversify the voices in our newsroom, The Setonian will also be starting a weekly column that will focus on BIPOC issues in the Seton Hall Community and the world-at-large. This column would be written by a rotating staff of columnists of color, and we are eagerly encouraging applicants from these backgrounds to apply.

Depending on the size of the section, columnists will submit pitches to the Interim Opinion Editor every other week on Sunday by 8:00 pm. Columns would be due by Wednesday at 8:00 pm. Columns should be roughly 600-900 words.

Our goal is to replace our Interim Opinion Editor with a columnist eventually, so there may be room for upward mobility this semester to work on our editorial board.

Multimedia

Our Multimedia section is a new addition to our team this year! While we have always had a photo team, we are also looking to expand into new realms of digital content delivery -- like newsletters and podcasts. Because the latter two are ongoing projects of ours, we are looking for students that are self-starters and can help us lift these projects up off the ground through the upcoming semester.

Photo: Our photo team is responsible for obtaining all of the images used in the production of the paper, from going out into the field to capture news and sports events as they happen to finding images for use on the web. Photojournalists are an integral part of our team and is a great opportunity for aspiring photographers or hobbyists to practice and perfect their craft!

The workload for photojournalists varies based on the size of the staff, but is flexible.

Photography Editor: Jillian Cancela

Newsletter: Our newsletter team is a new addition to our newsroom this year! Students would be responsible for coordinating and assisting section editors in drafting up our weekly news briefing that will be sent using MailChimp (or another similar service). We are currently looking to get this project off the ground, so if you are a self-starter eager to work closely with editors at the paper, this is the position for you!

Podcasts: For our Podcast team, we are looking for students new hosts, writers, editors, and individuals with experience cutting and editing audio to produce either a weekly short news podcast (think "The Daily" from the New York Times). We are also looking for students potentially interested in hosting said podcast!

Graphics/illustration: We are looking to grow our graphics team by hiring an experienced student staff with knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop. We are also hoping to expand that team to include digital illustrators who can draft up art for our opinion columns, as well as other articles as needed.