Brandon Weston commits to Seton Hall

Brandon Weston, the No. 60 overall prospect in the class of 2021 according to Top247, committed to Seton Hall University Sunday afternoon.

The 6-foot-5 small forward chose the Pirates over other offers from Michigan, Western Illinois, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest and Illinois. He also joins the program as Seton Hall’s highest rated high school recruit since 2013 when Jaren Sina – the No. 24 point guard in the nation – committed to the Pirates.

Weston is the third official commit of Seton Hall’s 2021 class – joining two three-star prospects, Ryan Conway and Tyler Powell – and is the Pirates’ first four-star recruit since Myles Cale was recruited in 2017. With the addition of Weston to the 2021 class, this is the highest rated class by Top247 since the 2014 class that included Angel Delgado, Isaiah Whitehead, Desi Rodriguez, Khadeen Carrington, Mike Nzei and Ismael Sanogo.

https://twitter.com/tyler_calvaruso/status/1300161748889198592?s=20

Despite competition for Weston from other big-name schools, the 18-year-old chose Seton Hall over his other offers because of how well Coach Willard has done to develop players during his time as the Pirates’ head coach. He cited the progression of Whitehead and Myles Powell under Willard and his staff’s guidance as one of the determining factors to his decision.

“For me, it wasn’t about picking the big school that has a big name,” Weston told the New York Post. “I go by what’s the best for my game and where I can take my game, and Seton Hall was just the best fit.”

The acquisition of Weston now leaves two scholarship spots open for the Pirates heading into the 2021-22 season.

https://twitter.com/tyler_calvaruso/status/1300166823749582850?s=20

Justin Sousa can be reached at justin.sousa@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @JustinSousa99.