Men's soccer alumnus launches GoFundMe to assist grieving teammate who lost grandfather, brother and family home in span of two months

Amid what is already a trying and troubling time during this pandemic, a series of unfortunate events have struck close to home for the Seton Hall men’s soccer team. Earlier Friday morning, the team's Instagram page posted a link to a GoFundMe page created by Seton Hall men’s soccer alumnus David Arvidsson in support of rising senior defender Oscar Nävarp.

Over the last two months, Nävarp lost his grandfather, Sten-Borje, and his 20-year-old brother, Gustaf, unexpectedly. Last week, Nävarp’s childhood home burned down along with all the remaining memories and belongings of his brother.

47927692_1588888149843896_r-1024x683
Photo via David Arvidsson on GoFundMe

Arvidsson left a heart-felt message on the GoFundMe page that read, “Coming together and showing support to Oscar and his parents, Rikard and Sofia, is more important now than ever. We will never be able to bring back Oscar’s lost time with his brother or replace the belongings that burned down in the fire. But with your gift, you can contribute to the family Nävarp slowly rebuilding their life again.

“That is why I am reaching out to the Seton Hall community, former teammates, friends, and family to help Oscar and his family, and to make sure that Oscar can return to Seton Hall for a final season in the Fall and Graduate among all his friends.”

47927692_1588888168192078_r-1
Photo via David Arvidsson on GoFundMe

"Oscar is truly one of a kind," men's soccer head coach Andreas Lindberg said. "He embodies everything it means to be a Pirate and for us to be able to help Oscar and his family during these difficult times was a given."

The Seton Hall community has already begun rallying around this fundraiser for Oscar. Friends both inside and outside of the team have taken to their social media platforms to promote this cause.

The current goal of the GoFundMe page is set at $20,000 which translate to approximately 200,000 Swedish Krona. For reference, one dollar converts to approximately 10 Swedish Krona.

As of press time, the fundraiser had accrued nearly $8 thousand in donations.

You can donate to Oscar and his family through the GoFundMe page available here.