You’re going to have to vote for Joe Biden

Well, that’s it, Pirates.

On April 8, Senator Bernie Sanders announced that he was suspending his campaign for president, making Vice President Joe Biden the presumptive Democratic nominee for president. 

The-Voice-Gage-Skidmore_Wikimedia-Commons
Photo via Gage Skidmore/Wikimedia Commons

“We are now some 300 delegates behind Vice President Biden and the path to victory is virtually impossible,” Sanders said in a livestream, calling the decision “difficult and painful.” He then proceeded to call Biden “a very decent man who I will work with to move our progressive ideas forward.”

If officially nominated at the Democratic National Convention this summer, Biden will be going against incumbent President Donald Trump in November’s general election.

Many of Biden’s other former primary competitors have endorsed him for president, including Senator Elizabeth Warren, who said on April 15 that “Joe Biden has spent nearly his entire life in public service,” and that “he knows that a government run with integrity, competence and heart will save lives and save livelihoods,” according to CNN. Just last month, Senator Amy Klobuchar and Mayor Pete Buttigieg endorsed Biden for president just before Super Tuesday, in an attempt to unite the moderate wing of the Democratic party, also according to CNN. And yesterday, President Barack Obama formally endorsed his former vice president in a 12-minute video.

Biden has drawn a lot of well-deserved criticism — everything from his voting record to his past with women and sexual misconduct allegations can be called into question. We at The Setonian are by no means saying that Biden is a perfect candidate. There’s no such thing as a perfect candidate — but hey, maybe that’s just the journalists in us talking. What we’re saying is that the most important thing this coming November is defeating President Trump. 

Most of Biden’s former competitors know this fact. They know that getting Trump out of office is the most important facet of this election. They know that human rights come over party discrepancies. They know that Trump’s handling of everything from immigration to this pandemic is proof that having another four years of him as president is a matter of life and death. 

That’s why this coming November, vote for Joe Biden. Get over your reservations, literally just get over them. If you don’t, well, your privilege is showing. 

The Voice is intended to best represent the collective opinion of The Editorial Board. It is written by The Setonian’s Editor-in-Chief.