Senior column: Please don’t make me vote for Joe Biden

In 1993, Tara Reade, a former Senate staffer for Joe Biden, alleged that Biden inappropriately handled her. Now, Reade has alleged that Biden sexually assaulted her, according to Newsweek

Thomas_s-Opinion-Marc-Nozell_Flickr
Photo via Flickr/Mark Nozell

Reade has reemerged with her claim, but major news networks, particularly left-leaning publications have decided not to cover Reade’s alleged experience. Right-leaning publications along with progressive outlets have covered the story including Democracy Now!, The Hill, The Washington Examiner and The Federalist. However, The New York Times, CNN, The Washington Post have yet to report on the allegation.

With Biden as the front-runner for the democratic nomination, a damning allegation such as this could negatively impact the general election against President Donald Trump. Although, as we all know, Trump comes with his baggage when it comes to women too. 

I do not want to delve into the clear hypocrisy of the media’s handling of Reade’s allegations. Nevertheless, these allegations only further cement Biden as a problematic candidate. His unfavorable voting record such as supporting the invasion of Iraq and voting for devastating trade agreements like the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) are liabilities. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics and Census Bureau data, from 1993-2002 the United States lost over 1.5 million jobs due to NAFTA.

Biden’s adverse voting record, renewed allegations of sexual misconduct and his evident cognitive decline on daytime television will only lead to Trump’s reelection in November. The Intercept reported that even establishment supporters fear for his cognitive fitness.

Recently, Bernie Sanders raised more than $2 million over the course of 48 hours for charities combating the COVID-19 outbreak, as reported by The Hill, while Biden has remained virtually silent only appearing for occasional television interviews.

Democrats have lost any moral ground they may have once scraped together. The imposition of Biden as electable is unfounded. Certainly, Biden has more centrist policy proposals than Sanders which may appeal to a larger electorate, but he lacks the mental fitness and the political acumen to confront Trump on a debate stage.

Biden may be the front-runner, but his weaknesses certainly outweigh Sanders’. According to the RealClear Politics polling average, both Sanders and Biden defeat Trump in a general election, but with Biden’s growing baggage his chances for victory seem to be narrowing.

Thomas Schwartz is a senior history major from Nutley, New Jersey. He can be reached at thomas.schwartz@student.shu.edu.