Myles Powell, Alexis Lewis receive weekly honors

The Seton Hall men’s and women’s have been off to a hot start for the 2019-20 season.

Myles Powell is naturally leading the way on the men’s side. On the women’s side, it is not as clear. After Shadeen Samuels went down with an injury against Princeton, the rest of the team needed to step up and did. Most notably, Desiree Elmore and Alexis Lewis picked up the pace.

Due to her efforts, Lewis found herself named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll early in the week. After Samuels went down, Lewis finished with 27 points, the most in his collegiate career. She followed that up with a 12-point performance against St. Joseph’s.

MP-BGPOTW-112119-1024x576

In the two games, respectively, she came down with seven and four rebounds and 38 and 37 minutes played.

With plenty of new players on the team, head coach Anthony Bozzella will rely plenty on Lewis for secondary scoring behind Samuels. Where those two go, alongside the likes of Elmore, Barbara Johnson, and others, the Pirates will follow.

The men’s side and its fearless leader, Powell, also received honors for the performances.

He was named Big East Player of the Week for the first time this season. In the two games played during this stretch, Powell knocked down 37 and 26 points against Michigan State and St. Louis, respectively. Good enough for an average of 31.5 points, Powell had a seemingly “off” night by his standards at St. Louis after seemingly and nearly willing the Pirates to victory against the Spartans.

Due to this effort, Powell also received the nod for the U.S. Basketball Writers Association’s Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week. The group names a player every week during the season and Powell is getting the honor despite going 1-1 in his efforts.

It may not be the last that the Pirates see Powell’s name in this conversation. Dubbed a Preseason All-American selection, Powell is set to be one of the best players in the country. Despite feeling the lingering affects of an ankle injury suffered against Stony Brook, Powell was able to garner this much attention and success, so the sky is seemingly the limit for Seton Hall’s star.

Kevin Kopf can be reached at kevin.kopf@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @KevinKopfHWH.