SHU celebrates transfers

Seton Hall commemorated National Transfer Student week from Oct. 21 - 25 by hosting various events for and about transfer students, past and present. This week of celebration was started by the National Institute for the Study of Transfer Students. Seton Hall is part of this national movement. The Dean of the Transfer Center, Hezal Patel, described how the center either highlighted the “transfer story” of a Seton Hall employee or hosted an event with other on campus sponsors this past week. Events like “Transfers Need Internships Too!” on Oct. 23, addressed how transfer students may need to start looking for internships much sooner than they think and described how to start the search for internships, when to start thinking about getting an internship and what resources Seton Hall can give you to look for opportunities. These events were meant to celebrate a group of students who, Patel said in a recent email, “often go unrecognized.” She also said that “transfer students are an important part of the University community” and that “it is important that we as a community are aware of some of the challenges they face in adjusting to a new campus and its culture.” The stories of actual transfer students on campus can shed light on what impact the Transfer Center is having on their Seton Hall experience. Mikayla Kiefer, a senior majoring in social and behavioral sciences and a transfer student, answered how the Transfer Center helped her. In a recent email conversation, she stated that “as a transfer student, I have always felt so welcomed. When I started my journey as a transfer student the Transfer Student Center was always willing to help, answer any of my questions, and guide me on how to be a successful transfer student.” When asked if she felt welcomed at Seton Hall, Kiefer enthusiastically answered “Absolutely! The Seton Hall community was so welcoming ever since the first time I stepped foot on this campus.” She elaborated on how she made Seton Hall her home, saying that “As a transfer student, I felt that it was imperative to also get involved on campus. I became a Peer Adviser, joined clubs and a Greek organization. By getting involved it made Seton Hall feel even more like home.” As for what more the Seton Hall Transfer Center could do to welcome new transfer students on campus, Kiefer thought they could not do any better than they already were, saying that “the Transfer Student Center has always been so welcoming from my first ever appointment to present day.” In the end, when asked if she was ultimately happy with her decision to transfer to Seton Hall University, Kiefer said she is happy. She said “I found my home away from home here at Seton Hall.” The Transfer Student Center here at Seton Hall has had a very positive impact on students who decide to transfer. Based on Kiefer’s experiences, the key to feeling at home on campus is to get involved in organizations and student life. The Transfer Student Center is supporting students like Kiefer to excel and National Transfer Student Week brings light to the struggles students face before they find a home on campus. Alexandra Wells can be reached at alexandra.wells@student.shu.edu.