Students share their ‘drive’ to be commuters

Several students were asked what they think the major differences and benefits are in the life of a commuter at Seton Hall.

cars-1-1024x683
Jill Cancela/Staff Photographer

More Prepared

Some students like Kendra Campbell, a junior sociology major, said that commuters come more prepared for class or work on campus.

“If we forget something we can’t just walk two minutes to our dorm and grab it,” Campbell said. “If we forget something we are most likely without it the entire day. [We] really feel the consequences when we forget something.”

Family Matters

Other students said that a big factor of commuting sometimes is not having to pay more bills, since their families already pay them. Amanda Barba, a junior English major, said, “I do not have to pay to wash my clothes, I have my own private bathroom, and no roommate.” She said that all of these luxuries are provided by the fact that she lives with her parents.

Living at home according to former commuter Kristen Santullo, a junior secondary education major, gave her more time to spend with family. Santullo said that she has a strong relationship with their family.

Freedom

Campbell also added that a positive trait of commuter life is the aspect of freedom they can enjoy. “I live about eight minutes away from campus, so it’s easy for me to come back and forth,” Campbell said. “I enjoy my freedom and being able to come to my own space at the end of the day.”

Healthier Lifestyle

“I prefer to eat healthy and cook my own food which is very easy to do in an apartment,” Campbell said. She added that many students complain about the lack of healthier choices, or lack of anything tasty, in the cafeteria.

Another topic commuters harped on was the fact that students might even get to avoid having an immediate roommate. Due to differences in scheduling and being farther away from the campus, students might get lucky and have the off-campus abode to themselves for portions of the day or week.

Comfort

Many students said the switch to living on campus rips them from the life they’ve known. Barba said she noticed this particular issue firsthand. “The advantages of commuting are that I get to live in the comfort of a home I have known my entire life,” Barba said. “I am able to do things at my own leisure, come and go as I please, as well as keep my car instead of giving it up when I chose to attend college.”

Making the Choice to Live Off-Campus

Rachel Campbell, a junior English major, who hails from Texas, had some insightful advice in making the choice to move off-campus. She said it is important not to move off-campus just because it’s what everyone else is doing. If living in a dorm works best for you, Rachel said, then stay in a dorm. “If you prefer to have more separation from campus, even if it includes friends, professors, events, then try commuting,” Rachel said. “If you’re unsure, and you’re able to try them out and figure out what works better – you can always switch to the other one.”

Claudia Emanuele can be reached at claudia.emanuele@student.shu.edu.