Multiple Pirates comebacks come up short against DePaul

The Seton Hall softball team rallied twice but ultimately fell short in a 8-6 loss to DePaul Saturday afternoon, bringing the team’s record to 12-15, including 2-2 in conference play.

Katherine Matthys and Destini Peck both had two RBIs, while Peck, Janae Barracato, Hailey Arteaga and Baylee Allender all had multi-hit efforts in the game.

In the second and third innings, DePaul was able to score four unanswered runs before the Pirates rallied for their first attempt at a comeback in the fourth inning.

peck_lehigh-1024x576

Peck, Darby Pandolfo, and Allender all singled and with the bases loaded, and a DePaul pitching error allowed Jaden Tate to reach base. Matthys then doubled up the middle, collecting two RBIs as Pandolfo and Allender scored. The Pirates ended the inning only trailing by one.

In the sixth inning, DePaul tacked on more runs. A three-run homer followed by a solo homerun put the Blue Demons up 8-3.

Late in the game, the Pirates attempted to rally one more time as Barracato doubled to center field. Arteaga then doubled through the left side and Barracato scored. Arteaga’s double was her league leading 12th of the season.

Peck hit a two-run homerun, but the Pirates still fell short by two in their comeback. Both teams had 11 hits in the game.

The Pirates will close their series at DePaul on March 31 with a doubleheader set to begin at 12 p.m.

Brittany Tomore can be reached at Brittany.tomore@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @BrittTomore.