Q&A with Lawson Barkley, SHU Rugby

Sports were everything growing up. From meeting best friends to playing in a final game, sports hold a special place in a person’s heart. So, why stop playing?

Seton Hall offers more than just Division I sports; club sports are a great option for those who aren’t ready for their athletic career to end.

Lawson Barkley, a SHU Rugby player, gave an insight into how the rugby program at Seton Hall rewards him as a student. For others, it could give an opportunity to reap similar benefits.

Setonian-Rugby
Photo via Hall Pass

AT: When and why did you get into playing Rugby?

LB: I first joined the rugby team this year. I came out to a couple practices last semester, but I had a conflict with classes, so I did not join. However, this year they extended the practices to three days a week and changed the time of practice to 5-7. This made it easier to make practices during the week.

AT: Best part about being on the team?

LB: The best part about being on the team is the camaraderie that comes with it. The players are good guys and you form a connection with them. I would compare the friendships to those made playing high school sports. They become your close friends.

AT: Many people would stay away from the sport because of its physical nature. How do you feel about the game? Its toll on your body?

LB: The sport undoubtedly brings a physical toll on your body. In my first rugby game for Seton Hall, I sprained my ankle and had a muscular strain in my bicep. I feel like the game can be dangerous if one does not enter with the correct mindset. Before every game, the team starters huddle up together and repeat a chant after the captain, Matt Leto. I feel like this prepares everyone’s mindset for the battle that is about to take place. Rugby is not a game for the weak or scared.

AT: Any advice for anyone looking to get into Rugby?

LB: My advice for anyone looking to get into rugby would be to come out to a practice and just watch the game. I did that my first year here and was hooked ever since. If you miss competitive sports and want to have a reason to be in shape, rugby is a great solution.

AT: How would Seton Hall students come out to watch?

LB: We play home games at 1:00 PM on Sunday at Ivy Hill Park. Ivy Hill is a one-minute walk directly behind the school gym.

AT: What’s the process to get on the team?

LB: To get on the team, you must be CIPP’d by USARugby.org. Then, you must pay $200 in dues to start coming out to practice.

AT: How often are you obligated to practice/play games?

LB: All members of the team are obligated to show up to as many practices and games as they can. Any conflicts with classes are understood and excused.

AT: What is your position and why do you believe it’s crucial to the game?

LB: My position is wing. The wing is the farthest position to the sideline. I believe it is a crucial position for the game because we bring width and speed to the game.

AT: Wish you would’ve played sooner?

LB: I wish I played rugby sooner. I am scheduling my classes around the practice schedule, so I can continue to play.

Anthony Talarico can be reached at anthony.talarico@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @ant_tal.