Senior Column: The Setonian started my journalism career

I have always loved writing, which is why it comes as no surprise that I decided to major in journalism. Part of the reason I wanted to come to Seton Hall University — besides it being my dream school and feeling like home — is that I wanted to write for The Setonian. Back then, I never would have expected that I would make so many friends through the paper and be elected Editor-in-Chief. [caption id="attachment_25327" align="aligncenter" width="700"] Photo courtesy of Samantha Todd[/caption] I have learned a great deal through my time on The Setonian. All of the basic reporting and journalism skills I pride myself on I have gained through my time at the newspaper. I feel that I have learned more through writing and editing for The Setonian than I did in my actual journalism classes. I can still remember the first article I wrote for the paper. I had to go to the Richie Reagan Recreation and Athletic Center and sit in on a spin class. It was my first time interviewing sources and writing an article for publication. While I had to make plenty of revisions, that story set the stage for my journalism career. I ended up taking what I learned at The Setonian and putting it into practice at my internships. When I joined the paper, I wanted to write for the News section. I love covering breaking news and events. I started out as a staff writer for News and eventually became News Copy Editor and then Managing Editor. Each of those positions taught me something. I got to work with a great staff, meet and interview a lot of great people and make a difference. I hope I have made a difference through my reporting and my tenure at the paper the same way that The Setonian made an impact on my life. This is the last article I will write for the paper, which is weird to think about. I am graduating early and will be done this December. Over these past few years, I have put all of my time and effort into the newspaper, so it is going to be strange to no longer write stories for the paper. While I’m ready to go out into the world and make my mark as a journalist, it’s all so bittersweet. I am looking forward to taking what I have learned at the newspaper and in my journalism classes and putting it into practice in the real world. However, I am also sad to be finishing up my time at The Setonian. I have spent the last few years putting the paper together on Wednesday nights and having that free time now will feel so different. I am really going to miss Seton Hall and The Setonian. No matter where journalism takes me in my career, I will always remember that it all started with The Setonian. I have loved writing for the paper and will treasure the memories I have made here. Samantha Todd is a senior journalism major with minors in English and broadcasting and visual media from Middlesex, N.J. She can be reached at samantha.todd@student.shu.edu.