Pirates pick up crucial conference win over Butler

The Seton Hall men’s soccer team completed a crucial come-from-behind victory, 2-1, on the road against Butler University on Wednesday night. The Pirates, though victorious, were playing from behind for almost the entirety of the first half of play. In the 4th minute, Butler found the back of the net and held the lead until the break. The Pirates wasted no time in the second half, though, as CJ Tibbling struck gold for the first time in nearly a month to even the score at 1-1 only 21 seconds in. The goal was Tibbling’s fifth of the year and his third in Big East play. [caption id="attachment_24714" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Following the goal, the Pirates continued to pressure the Bulldogs with their attack. Eventually, Carlton McKenzie put the Pirates ahead in the 50th minute. The go-ahead goal was McKenzie’s lone goal in Big East play and first in nearly a month. Prior to Wednesday night’s game, Tibbling was leading all Seton Hall scorers with four goals, two assists and 10 points. He remains atop the leaderboard still after his goal tonight. As for McKenzie, he was tied for second place with two goals, one assist and five points, but his goal tonight moves him into sole possession of second place on the team. Tibbling and McKenzie have attempted the most shots on Seton Hall’s roster. Ahead of the Butler game, Tibbling had 42 attempts and McKenzie had 37. The next closest is Francisco Alderete, who entered the night with 16 shots. With this win, Seton Hall now stands at 6-5-2 on the year and are 2-4-1 in conference play. The team’s final two matches will also come against Big East teams, with Xavier visiting Seton Hall on Oct. 27 before the team hits the road to play Villanova on Oct. 31. The game against Xavier will also serve as Senior Day. Despite the limited amount of games remaining, the Pirates still have time to salvage an even record in conference play, which would be a huge success. Anthony Talarico can be reached at anthony.talarico@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @ant_tal.