Deadline to register to vote is approaching

Calling all Seton Hall students! Mark your calendars. The New Jersey deadline to register to vote in the Nov. 6 election is Oct. 16, 2018. Following National Voter Registration Day on Sept. 25, The Setonian wants to remind students to vote. A lot of people in society say that our generation doesn’t care about politics or voting. They mistakenly think we don’t have a clue about what’s going on in the world. [caption id="attachment_23693" align="aligncenter" width="508"] Photo obtained from google.com.[/caption] Many of us do care about voting and elections. However, for some reason or another — not being registered in time to vote or aware of how to register, being too busy, etc. — our generation doesn’t seem to have as big a voter turnout compared to the older generation. Statistics show that younger adults are less likely to participate in midterm elections, such as the one coming up, according to a Pew Research Center article from June 2018. Their research said that Generation X, millennials and post-millennials form a large majority of voting-eligible U.S. adults. However, if past midterm election turnout patterns remain true, then these generations are unlikely to cast the majority of votes this upcoming election. Floating around is a misconception that one vote doesn’t mean much and that it won’t change anything. Every vote counts, though, and is a chance to have your voice heard. No matter what your political affiliation is, just remember to go out and vote. Not voting is throwing away your vote. As “The Voice of the Seton Hall Community,” we encourage you to go out and vote this November to make your voice heard. Show everyone that their perceptions about our generation are wrong and that we care deeply about the political landscape and real-world issues that are affecting us and our communities. The Voice is intended to best represent the collective opinion of The Editorial Board. It is written by The Setonian’s Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor.