WSOU student one of nation's three Rising Stars

Thousands of people tune in each day to the critically acclaimed WSOU, Seton Hall’s Pirate Radio station. Talented students get to practice and showcase their skills, playing heavy metal rock or reporting the news: Alicia Campos, a junior digital sound and media major, is one of those many talented students. [caption id="attachment_22923" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Photo courtesy of Alicia Campos[/caption] She started working for WSOU her freshman year after being inspired by meeting with the staff there previously. “When I came to Seton Hall for my Pirate Adventure, the station manager at the time presented about WSOU, and from the moment I heard about it I fell in love,” Campos said. Campos wasn’t always set on being a digital sound and media major; she switched majors twice before she realized how much of an impact WSOU had on her. “It was the end of my sophomore year when I was unhappy and not doing well in my classes that I realized I only ever loved what I was doing when I was at WSOU,” she said. For the past year, she has been serving as the station manager and was re-elected for next year. With that role, she has other responsibilities for WSOU. “Along with that I have a regular morning shift, and also a specialty show with two good friends of mine where we talk about and play emo/pop-punk,” Campos said. “I’ve always been passionate about the genre and I feel so happy to be able to share it to an audience of up to 100,000 every week!” Liam Scollins, a junior diplomacy major, said: “she really understand[s] what needs to be done, how it needs to be done, always incredible professional.” In addition to the experiences she receives at WSOU, she is also interning for Z100’s Elvis Duran and the Morning Show, where she learns more about the radio industry. Her work was recently recognized when she was awarded the NAB Radio Scholars Scholarship last fall semester, and she was recently named as one of three Ria Rising Stars of Radio in the nation. Mark Maben, the station’s general manager, spoke about Campos’s work ethic. “She’s contributing the benefits of hard work and involvement,” he said. Maben also spoke about what has contributed to Campos’s success, not only having an outgoing and welcoming personality, but also how she went for networking events. “She has taken great advantage of applying for opportunities that help her maximize the network she can build,” Maben said. Campos spoke on what would help a person to succeed in broadcasting. “For anyone that is dead set on going into broadcasting, I would say to always be genuine and kind, because it’s the only way to fit in with the wonderful energy,” she said. “Every time I meet someone new in radio my spirit is lifted a little more. You have to put in the work, and a lot of the work is at odd hours, but if you really love it the sleep schedule (or lack thereof) will pay off.” Adam Varoqua can be reached at adam.varoqua@student.shu.edu.