Pirates fall to St. John’s in Flushing

The Seton Hall women’s tennis team were defeated in convincing fashion by Big East rival St. John’s on Friday in Flushing Meadows, N.Y. The match, which was originally scheduled to be played the SJU Tennis Courts, was moved to an indoor facility at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. The Pirates, now 5-8 overall and 1-1 against conference opponents, fell 7-0 to the Red Storm, who improve to 11-5 and 2-1 versus Big East opposition. Despite the lopsided score-line, a few matches were decided in close fashion. [caption id="attachment_22647" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Sophomore Melody Taal and junior Thandy Kangwa fought hard in close matches at the No. 2 and No. 3 singles assignments. Practically going shot-for-shot throughout the day, both athletes were unable to pull away in the third set, as both won the second set, before falling in the third, 7-6. Taal was part of another close match at the No. 3 doubles flight. Partnered with fellow sophomore Michal Matson, the duo fell to their St. John’s opposition, 6-4. Matson, who also competed at No. 4 singles, was defeated in two sets, with the second set requiring a tiebreaker. Announced Wednesday evening, junior Anicka Fajnorova was named Big East Women’s Tennis Athlete of the Week. She earned the honor with pivotal wins in both singles and doubles against Hofstra and DePaul, on March 30 and 31. Against the Red Strom, however, she did not have the same success. Competing in No. 1 singles, Fajnorova was defeated in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2. Next up on the schedule is Senior Day. The Pirates will host Marquette on Friday, April 13 at 3 p.m., and celebrate its two seniors, Katie Kim and Luize Strike, in the process. The Hall will also try to gain momentum with a win at home, before ending its regular season with a three-game road stretch. Anthony Talarico can be reached at Anthony.talarico@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @ant_tal.