WSOU inducted into the Rock Radio Hall of Fame

On February 23, 2018, WSOU 89.5 FM, Seton Hall’s student-run radio station was inducted into the Rock Radio Hall of Fame during the Rock Radio Awards Ceremony. Established in 2014 by music industry veteran Steven Walker, the purpose of the Rock Radio Hall of Fame is to recognize and celebrate radio stations and individuals that have made a significant impact to the rock music culture. [caption id="attachment_22244" align="aligncenter" width="838"] WSOU presented with award[/caption] Since 2014, the Rock Radio Hall of Fame has inducted more than 40 radio stations and individuals. WSOU’s name is now alongside renowned rock stations such as KSHE-FM, WMMR-FM, KSAN-FM, and WJJO-FM, the bands Metallica and The Who, and industry leaders Roxy Myzal, Harvey Leeds, Tom Zutaut, and Cyndee Maxwell, among others. In 2016, WSOU was the winner of the National Broadcasters Association’s Marconi Award for Noncommercial Station of the Year. The station has also received a Peabody Award, has been named “College Station of the Year by CMJ, is the recipient of more than 30 gold and platinum records, ranging from Iron Maiden to Linkin Park, and was named a “Top 5 radio station” in the country by Rolling Stone. After receiving this prestigious honor, Mark Maben, the General Manager of WSOU, states, “This honor is a real validation of the hard work and professionalism of the thousands of students who have been involved at WSOU since the station flipped to its current format back in 1986. To be put on par with legendary rock radio stations like WMMR, KSHE, and WJJO makes not only me proud, but all of our current staff members and station alumni. For us, it’s the equivalent of winning a Big East championship title and it feels great.” Music Director of WSOU, Dylan Gordeuk, “attributes this achievement to WSOU’s unique approach to programming and its platform as a radio talent incubator. The station has always been a force for progress and innovation, hence our “out-of-the-box” format and organizational culture that emphasizes creative freedom. He continues, “There is a tremendous amount of pride that comes with being part of an on-campus organization that is constantly recognized as the top of it’s class. It serves as a reminder that WSOU offers a professional development experience unlike anywhere else.” WSOU’s Assistant Program Director, Doug Woolever, attributes the induction to WSOU’s multi-decade legacy of involvement within the hard rock and metal music communities, and how it has built us a strong respect among the leaders of those fields. “Many of the bands we play, the record companies we go through, and the radio stations we communicate with were in attendance at this event, and their decision to recognize WSOU as a standout college radio station was a tremendous honor,” Woolever said. “Personally I’m thrilled and highly appreciative of everyone at the Rock Radio Hall of Fame, and I hope to keep WSOU performing at that same standard of exceptionality so that we might earn more awards like it in the future.” Alyssa Hawkins can be reached at alyssa.hawkins@student.shu.edu