Pirates defeat Friars to complete suspended contest

After spending an extra night in Providence, R.I., the Pirates continued their game against the Friars with an 89-77 victory on Thursday afternoon. After condensation appeared on the court at the Dunkin' Donuts Center, the game was continued at Providence's on-campus gym, Alumni Hall. Picking up with a 56-47 score with 13:03 left in the game, Providence started to slowly gain momentum. Kyron Cartwright got hot, finishing with 25 points on the game and getting the Friars to within one point of the Pirates. [caption id="attachment_21883" align="aligncenter" width="1200"] Sean Barry/Staff Photographer[/caption] While the 1,800-seat Alumni Hall was only about half filled, according to the YES Network broadcast, the crowd got loud with Providence's run. Providence started the day on an 11-2 run, but Seton Hall answered with a 12-3 run of its own to take a 71-61 lead with about six minutes remaining. With Desi Rodriguez out of the game with an ankle sprain and stuck on the bench in a boot, Khadeen Carrington was the biggest Pirate to step up. He drove the lane, drew fouls and hit his shots. He finished with 14 points this afternoon and 25 points on the game, along with a perfect 8-8 performance from the free throw line. "It was tough, I tried to tell the guys we got to play like we down by nine," Carrington said of the situation. "We were a little rattled early, but I told my guys to stay calm...We picked it up." Myles Cale also played a big role with Rodriguez sitting out. He had an important stretch where he made two baskets, got an offensive rebound and drew an and-one to bring his point total up to eight on the game. With about a minute left, Providence started fouling and heaving up threes. A few of them went down, but Seton Hall made their foul shots and kept a comfortable lead. After the game, Kevin Willard told FOX Sports' Tarik Turner that Rodriguez will not play Saturday against St. John's, saying he "sprained [his ankle] pretty good." Willard said he hopes Rodriguez will be ready in time for the game against Villanova on Feb. 28. Willard also commended Carrington's play this game and all season. "Everyone's been on him all season long about what he's not doing and I've been telling him what he has been doing," Willard said to Tuner. "I think he understood without Desi out there he had to be more aggressive." Without Rodriguez, the Pirates will prepare to play St. John's at Madison Square Garden on Feb. 24 at noon. Seton Hall is currently tied for fourth place in the Big East with Creighton and Providence with an 8-7 record in conference play. Elizabeth Swinton can be reached at elizabeth.swinton@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @eswint22.