Pirate’s Cove ordering app to be released in the fall

[caption id="attachment_21691" align="aligncenter" width="838"] The app intends to shorten the long lines in the cove during rush hours such as lunch.
Fabbielle Garcia/Staff Photographer[/caption] An ordering app that will help combat the long wait time at the Pirate’s Cove is still in development and should be released this fall. The app will allow students to order food from the Cove. Michelle Pan, Student Government Association (SGA) Student Life Committee Chair, and a junior double majoring in marketing and management, wrote in an email that the app should be up and running during the upcoming fall semester. Pan said in a previous interview with The Setonian that she hoped the app would be up and running for this semester, but there was no guarantee. Asked about the progress of the app, Pan said that the reason the app will be released next fall is because the University Center will be undergoing construction during the summer. A physical place to put the food that is ordered through the app will be built, she said. “The whole process has been extremely exciting because it’s been pretty clear that this is something that was needed for a while to make it more convenient for the student body to order food from the Cove,” Pan said, “so the fact that this is happening has been very exciting.” Pan added that the app would allow for a value pack where students can “get something from the Cove, a drink and a bag of chips for a regular swipe into the café.” Pan said that this way, “students who don’t have enough time to go to the café because of class or work can use this to their advantage.” As previously reported by The Setonian, Pan is working with SGA ad hoc senator Charles Matta, and Gourmet Dining Services (GDS) to create the Cove ordering app. Matta could not be reached for comment. Students discussed their thoughts on the usefulness of the app. Zuleima Montesinos, a sophomore nursing major, said she thinks the app is a good idea and will save time. “If you’re in class and then you order something, by the time you get out you can just go pick it up and eat,” she said, “especially if you don’t have a lot of time to eat.” She added that she sees long lines during lunch time at the Cove and she thinks the app will help combat those long lines and long wait times. Adrian Bernal, a freshman biology major, said he thinks the app is a good idea. He said he eats at the Cove and one time he had to wait an hour for his food. He said the app could cut down on long wait times. Bernal said he thinks the app is needed and that it will “make everything a lot easier, more convenient.” Zil Modi, a junior biology major who has spent up to 30 minutes waiting for her food at the Cove in the past, said she thinks the app would be helpful. She added that waiting at the Cove for your food can take a long time, but if someone uses the app and orders their food 30 minutes before they are going to eat, then when they get to the Cove their food will be ready. “I think it [Cove app] would make things a lot more efficient,” Modi said. “I don’t think it’s a dire need, but I think it’s very helpful and convenient.” Samantha Todd can be reached at samantha.todd@student.shu.edu.