Live Like Kainoa: Pi Kappa Phi holds fundraiser for brother

The Pi Kappa Phi fraternity will be sponsoring the “Live Like Kainoa” fundraiser on Sept. 27 from 4 to 7 p.m. on the Green to help brother Kainoa Spenser’s family with their incurred medical expenses. Over the summer, Spenser was diagnosed with pneumonia, which led to further complications and a flesh-eating disease that attacked his limbs and the entirety of his body, according to Ravi Shah, president of the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity. [caption id="attachment_19752" align="aligncenter" width="960"] Kainoa Spenser (center right) is a member of Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity. Photo via Facebook/Kainoa Spenser.[/caption] Shah wrote in an email that he hopes the event will have a good turnout. “My goal for this event is to bring the entire Seton Hall community together including students, faculty, Greek life, and all clubs because Kainoa had an impact on all these people with the work he did for our community,” Shah said. There will be games, food, music and other activities. The fraternity will be selling Luau shirts and Eventbrite tickets to raise the money. Shah has known Spenser for over two years now and the two have been friends since the beginning. “I remember meeting him for the first time at a student government meeting. He brought this aura with him that really brightened up the room,” Shah said. “As our friendship grew, I spoke to Kainoa about a new fraternity at Seton Hall and asked him to come meet some of the brothers. I really wanted him to join because he had an energetic personality and could inspire others with the passion he lives with.” Together, Shah and Spenser were able to recharter Pi Kappa Phi at Seton Hall. The two spent countless nights planning the fraternity. Shah said these are some of his fondest memories with Spenser. Because of their history, Shah was inspired to throw this fundraiser after being informed by Spenser’s family of his condition over the summer. Michael Davis, assistant director of Leadership Development (Greek Liaison), wrote in an email about his hopes for the event. “I’m really looking to seeing our campus (Greek and non-Greek) come together to support a member of our campus,” he said. Davis continued to say that he hopes the event will show the campus what “brotherhood truly means.” Madeline Recore, president of Zeta Tau Alpha, said that she hopes each Greek organization will table at the fundraiser to help raise money for Kainoa and his family. Isabel Soisson can be reached at isabel.soisson@student.shu.edu.