20/20 hindsight: Take advantage of new surroundings

The Voice

The Setonian’s upperclassmen would like to offer the newest generation of Pirates some advice.

As you, the Class of 2020, begin your college careers, know this: The next four years are going to pass you by in a flash. In August you will begin the next portion of your academic careers and a new journey in life. Before you know it you will be donned in cap and gown, ready to graduate.

If life were a book, college would be just a few pages, a chapter that you breeze through and finish reading in a matter of no time. That does not necessarily mean that the chapter lacks content though.

College works the same way, if you take advantage of the new surroundings you will soon call home. It will be scary at first. A new community, new people, new challenges, living on your own, adjusting to cafeteria food instead of home-cooked meals - it all takes some getting used to. Whether it be social, academic or personal, there will be countless challenges over the next four years.

Embrace them.2020

Not only that, but seek more challenges. There is so much to do in college outside of the classroom and partying. You now have an array of extra-curricular options and a sea of people that you will never have again in your life.

Join a club or organization. Join five if you have the time and the passion. Meet new people. Find a professor who motivates you and cling to their side for the next four years. Apply for internships. Do charity work. Go to sporting events. Do not be scared to seek the help of a tutor or counselor. Take trips to the city as often as you can.

Take advantage of what Seton Hall has to offer you. Venture out of your own backyard; leave your comfort zone.

As you will learn in college, word count matters far less than the quality of the words. The same mindset should be applied to your time here. It is up to you to decide what you want to make of that time, this journey you are about to embark on.

What words are going to fill your pages? You are the one writing your chapter, so make the most of it.

When you read back four years from now, make sure it was a chapter worth reading.

The Voice is intended to best represent the collective opinion of The Setonian's editorial board. It is written by The Setonian's Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor.