MLKSA hits a grand slam honoring diversity in sports, giving back

[caption id="attachment_13944" align="alignnone" width="300"]Courtesy of Angelie Tolentino Courtesy of Angelie Tolentino[/caption] The Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship Association (MLKSA) hosted their annual Celebration Ball, a diversity in sports themed formal event held on March 19 in which the goal was to raise money to give back to communities. Half of the money raised through ticket sales was used to purchase cases of water for both the Flint, Michigan and Newark communities. Albert Guzman, a sophomore pre-science major, was a co-chairperson for the event. “This gala was for Seton Hall’s students and athletes on campus in order to show our appreciation towards the hard work and challenges the athletes have accomplished,” Guzman said. At the event, athletes were acknowledged for how they deal with hardships. Out of all the worthy causes to give to, Guzman explains their main focus is to show leadership and stand for a cause. He said that they wanted to help communities in every possible whether it’s by giving back or helping when in need so in this case, to help Flint, Michigan and Newark, where the contaminated water was unsafe to drink. “The flow of the program ran smoothly and the messages we wanted to send to the audience were clearly delivered,” Guzman added. This year’s theme celebrated diversity in sports at all levels, national and collegiate, and the minority athletes that lead by example. Robin Cunningham, associate vice president of division of student services and a prior athlete at SHU served as the event’s key speaker. “She [Cunningham] recognized specific athletes who paved the way and sent a message of knowing where you were in order to make an impact for the next one up,” said Daniel Brown, a senior sports management and marketing major and co-chairperson of the event. Brown said Cunningham covered the past, present, and future of minorities in sports. The MLKSA’s annual Celebration Ball resulted in not just a good time for its attendees, but also valuable lessons to minorities in sports and other venues and cases of water for communities in need. MLKSA is dedicated to helping minorities and all students become leaders of their respective communities. Zachary Wohl can be reached at zachary.wohl@student.shu.edu.