Take a seat: students relax in new Jubilee furniture

Students who spend their days in Jubilee Hall are starting the spring semester relaxing in new lounge furniture. Erika Ota Liedtke, sophomore finance major, said that the new furniture was a worthy investment, as the lounge formerly had limited seating. “It was very annoying to come here and not have a comfy place to sit,” Liedtke said. New furniture located on the second floor of Jubilee Hall near the vending machines includes high-top tables with chairs, long tables with chairs and accompanying outlet stations for charging laptops and cell phones. Additional furniture in the same location includes cushioned chairs with attached desk arms. More new tables and chairs are found inside Jubilee Hall to the left of the second floor entrance, including high-top bar style tables and stools. John Signorello, associate vice president of facilities engineering and the Office of Business Affairs, said in an email interview, that the Jubilee Hall canteen area was in need of the new furniture to replace the previously broken or missing furniture. Signorello said that “discussions on a furniture upgrade probably started at the beginning of last year.” He adds, the partnership between Canteen Vending Services and the University’s Office of Business Affairs supplied the funding for the initiative to replace the furniture in Jubilee. “Seeing how popular other lounge areas are in Jubilee Hall and across campus, it was recognized by academic leadership, Deans May and Strawser, and administrative leadership that an upgrade was needed,” Signorello said. Grace May, dean of the College of Education and Human Services, said in an email interview, that “the physical environment sets a tone for engaged community learning, so the new furniture and lounge area invites students to collaborate in a key academic setting on campus.” Signorello also recognizes Michael Garcia, director of administrative services in the Office of Business Affairs, and Michael Marconi, Facilities Engineering project manager, for “making this project happen.” Brianna Bernath can be reached at brianna.bernath@student.shu.edu.