Student Activities Board plans events to ward off winter blues

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="327"] thealternativepress.com[/caption] With snow piling high outside, the Student Activities Board (SAB) is planning a series of events to help ward off the winter blues. Alison Sotolongo, associate director of student activities, said SAB is collaborating with the Multicultural Advisory Committee for events during Diversity Week which will be held March 29 through 31. The events  include spoken word poets, G. Yamazawa and Carlos Andres Gomez visiting campus. SAB will also be continuing their Coffeehouse series on Wednesdays at 8:30 p.m. in the Pirate’s Cove with guests like “American Idol” season nine winner, Lee DeWyze performing on March 30. Also, SAB will be showing “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2” on Jan. 28 with themed activities related to the movie during the day. Sotolongo said that they are excited for their SHU Speaks series and will be announcing a speaker soon. “We enjoy holding events on campus because it gives students the opportunity to have fun without having to leave campus, especially on snowy winter days,” Sotolongo said in an email. Sotolongo said that the importance of off-campus events as a means of introducing students to the resources and events near the University. She added that these include outings such as trips to Broadway shows and sporting events. SAB also provides travel options in the form of a charter bus or train tickets depending on the activity. SAB draws great inspiration from surveys which they send out at the end of each semester and the ideas they receive from the Seton Hall community, she added. “SAB should hold a University-wide softball tournament,” Frank Frasco, a freshman broadcasting and visual media major, said. Frasco said that his favorite event was the Blue Carnival during the first weekend of the fall semester. Erin Kelly, a freshman communications major, said the Nate Ruess concert in September was awesome and she would love to go to another one. Kelly added that her favorite event was the SAB Subway Series trip. “I loved getting the chance to go to Citi Field and see the Yankees play against the Mets,” Kelly said. In addition to recording their ideas on the end-of-semester survey, students are also welcome to share their ideas at SAB meetings on Mondays at 8:00 p.m. in the Chancellor’s Suite. Julie Trien can be reached at julie.trien@student.shu.edu.