Women's soccer drops to Creighton in overtime

[caption id="attachment_11387" align="alignnone" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   The Seton Hall women’s soccer team lost to Creighton Thursday night in a 3-2 overtime thriller at Owen T. Carroll field. The Pirates pushed the pace offensively early on, leading to an early goal by Amanda Gulli. Unfortunately for Seton Hall, Creighton’s Lauren Sullivan found the back of the net shortly after at the 20-minute mark. Just over 12 minutes later, the Bluejays found the net again when Jill Richgels scored off a free kick. The Pirates fought back before the half, though, and came close on a shot from Gulli at the 35-minute mark, but the shot missed just wide. After halftime, the Pirates were relentless in their efforts to get back into the game. The barrage of chances started in the 55th minute when D’Yonna Riley took a shot that just went over the crossbar. Another chance that went over the crossbar happened at the 68-minute mark when Cathy Chukuka’s shot was tipped over by the Bluejays goalkeeper Erin Scott. Gulli was highly involved all night, as she had a header attempt with 11 minutes left. SHU goalkeeper Anna MacLean made a crucial save with eight minutes left when Creighton had a free kick attempt, keeping Seton Hall within one goal. Riley knotted the score up at 2-2 when she scored in the 85th minute, sending the game to overtime. In overtime, Creighton’s Alyssa Jara was able to sneak the ball past MacLean to win the game for the Bluejays. The Pirates will look to rebound in Cincinnati, Ohio, when they take on Xavier in a road match at 1 p.m. on Sunday.