Seton Hall to host MidAtlantic Opera

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="534"] patch.com[/caption] On Saturday, Oct. 17 Carnegie Hall’s Stern Auditorium will light up as it hosts the MidAtlantic Opera with Seton Hall University,  under the conduction of Conductor and Artistic Director Jason C. Tramm. “A Prayer for Peace” marks the third concert in Tramm’s Peace Trilogy Concert series, and is the feature performance of the series. “There is so much violence in the news that I thought, as artists, we really need to think of ways we can add beauty to the world and get people thinking about these conflicts. Music has an effect on people; it gets rid of national boundaries and acts as an international language,” Tramm said. “It is important that we reach out and work together to help the rest of the world.” Through the performance, Tramm hopes to spread a message of universal love while uniting the world in a peaceful manner through music. The concert features the music of Christian, Muslim and Jewish composers who embody the environment of conflict, violence and resolution. “They all share the same universal theme of peace,” Tramm said. Tramm also pursued the theme of international peace by reaching out to Dean Andrea Bartoli, School of Diplomacy to extend his ideals into a practical field. “I told Dean Bartoli what my vision was and he jumped in and said he wanted to support this. He has been an amazing partner to work with,” Tramm said. Along with the MidAtlantic Opera and Seton Hall, the night will include four professional soloists, a choir of a hundred faculty, alumni and student singers.  There will also be a 60-piece professional orchestra performing the “Elegy” for cello and strings by Behzad Ranjbaran, selections from Ahmed Adnan Saygun’s rarely performed “Yanus Emre Oratorio,” Leonard Bernstein’s Chichester “Psalms” and Ralph Vaughan Williams’s “Dona Nobis Pacem.” “It is a really wonderful cross-section of the Seton Hall community,” Tramm said. “I am looking forward to the concert because it programs pieces that are rarely heard and because it supports a good cause. Also, I have never been to Carnegie Hall which is something that I have always dreamed of experiencing because of my classical music background,” Bryan Yeoh, a freshman diplomacy major, said. Ticket prices range from $10 to $90 and are on sale at www.carnegiehall.org or through phone at CarnegieCharge (212) -247-7800. Seton Hall University will be providing transportation to the event. If you have never been to Carnegie Hall, this is a wonderful opportunity to go. To see your colleagues on the stage is a thrill, Tramm said. To be a part of great music is something I hope that everyone can give a chance because music and all of the arts can make a real difference in the world, he added. Katherine Wilson can be reached at katherine.wilson@student.shu.edu